Engine conversion

02HiluxKid

Hey all I’ve recently purchased the family’s 2002 hilux 3.0 diesel I’m looking to purchase an engine as the head gasket has blown any recommendations I was thinking either 1kz or 1kd has anyone had any problems I should be concerned about with either engine Cheers 

1KD is d4d common rail, sure they are going to be more powerful, but unless you are going to keep it forever, is the huge cost/ hassells really going to pay off. 

Keep what you got, I take it has the 5L or 5LE, EFI version of the 5L engine. Had one of these 5LE in the dual cab work ute, four up, a tonne of gear, pulled like a train

Edited by CONROD
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Replacing the engine to deal with a blown head gasket seems a bit over the top.

I agree with Conrod, stick with the 5L / 5L-E that's in there. Probably just need some TLC. Find a decent diesel shop and get it checked out.

I've got a 1999 3.0L diesel (non-turbo), since new. Solid engine. Do the right thing with regular oil, oil filter, fuel filter changes and air filter cleans and you'll get 100s of thousands of kms of reliable service.

Edited by gigantor
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 2002 Hilux that is meant to have a 5le engine but i think it was upgraded to a turbo version before i bought it. Its a different engine compared to what is in the manual - eg the alternator is at the bottom not the top as per the manual. The engine is seized - tried roll starting downhill and wheels just locked up. I cant find what the engine is. Any ideas on where I would find it? Also 5LE engines are hard to find - any ideas on what else i could put in?