ACV36R Suspension problems

IBJ

The service people tell me the front suspension support bearings have failed and they are causing the clonks I have complained about. The car has less than 80,000kms on it. Is this a problem with this model? Will it recur?

The service people tell me the front suspension support bearings have failed and they are causing the clonks I have complained about. The car has less than 80,000kms on it. Is this a problem with this model? Will it recur?

We tend to get this "clonk noise" every now and then...especially turning reasonably sharp when leaving our driveway (at low speeds of course). Our car has 15k on the clock.

Im interested if this is the norm or not.

Brad

We tend to get this "clonk noise" every now and then...especially turning reasonably sharp when leaving our driveway (at low speeds of course). Our car has 15k on the clock.

Im interested if this is the norm or not.

Brad

hi IBJ and Brad,

fyi, it's been happening to my sportivo ever since it was new. you'll get a better idea of the kinds of "suspension problems" i've had by reading these posts:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=4170

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=6575

and this thing sort of gives me an idea of what it might be:

http://www.recalls.gov.au/view_recall_deta...l_ID_Auto=13352

perhaps we all should team up and submit a formal complaint to the consumer association...

S1LV3R

The dealer replaced the bearings and the car clonks a little less. Its going back again on Monday. Maybe Pedders were right when they said it was steering rack and sway bar bushes!

• 3 weeks later...

There is no way you can stop those clonking sound. You can minimize the sound by replacing all the bushings,springs,shocks,etc.... But at the end of the day the sound will STILL Be there. Trust me :)

well im hoping the GEN 6 doesnt do this! :)

I think you are right. They have replaced the bearings, both sway bar bushes and the clonk is still there. Apoarrently the Toyota dealer said that thats how some Camrys are. Well I don't think its good enough. You would think something so loud and obvious would be solveable. Looks like this is my first and LAST Toyota. :(

• 2 weeks later...

There is no way you can stop those clonking sound. You can minimize the sound by replacing all the bushings,springs,shocks,etc.... But at the end of the day the sound will STILL Be there. Trust me :)

well im hoping the GEN 6 doesnt do this! :)

I think you are right. They have replaced the bearings, both sway bar bushes and the clonk is still there. Apparently the Toyota dealer said that thats how some Camrys are. Well I don't think its good enough. You would think something so loud and obvious would be solveable. Looks like this is my first and LAST Toyota. :(

they said "that's how some camrys are"??????

perhaps they'd care to explain why it's just SOME and not all?????

and why it was still released to production?????

this sort of thing makes you think...is it just a toyota australia thing or is it global? perhaps we should forward this to toyota japan and see what they have to say

seriously, guys...a lot of people are already under the impression that toyota's reputation on quality and reliability is slipping

i've got to echo IBJ's sentiment...i think my next car will be either a honda or a mazda

I complained to Toyota Australia. The vehicle was subsequently returned to the local dealer for further diagnosis. They fixed the problem! What was it, they say they adjusted the the bonnet! I note that there are new bolts on the bonnet lock. Anyway no more clonks :)

eyy fellas..we have same problem...my dad is a mech at hanadashi at altona...its da steering rack...not suspension..we had ours replaced by da dealer becuase we complained to hq...u pl should da da same...if u ahvent realised ur car prob steers off to da left as well... :(

Mine had a sharp clunk when I first got it when you steered, it happened once a day took it back to Toyota at springwood bris where I bought it and they did zip. :angry:

Took it back again and it got fixed - they were reluctant to tell me what it was. some major part of the steering it sounded like. I was annoyed as they should have fixed it the first time and it could have been dangerous.

Now mine has a squeak in the rear, not sure what it is as I have new springs and sway bar but I sound like I am in an old crap car when I reverse. :whistling:

geez, you guys would hate driving my car then

more squeeks than an nest of mice!. i know for a fact that that my supsension is on it's last coils, so that will be a major change coming up soon.

just outta the blue, wot would you guys put on a camry, suspension wise? I looking at new shocks and springs and rough costing for it (fitted)

oh, and it is easy to re-fit the shocks / springs then just get a tyre alignment done?