head gasket

knight97

Well I dont have a Tarago, but I kno with the Camrys its around $1500 to fix the headgasket and around $3000 to replace the engine. In saying this, if the Tarago has an inline engine as opposed to V like my Camry... then it would be alot cheaper to do the headgasket job as its literally half the work. But you also have to weigh up other things, how many kms has the car got on it? Does it have blue smoke out of exhuast at all? etc. If the engine is young and in good nick, then just do the headgasket (And maybe get some of the parts in the head checked as it will be off...better fixing it now while its all off). If its old... then either replace the engine or rebuild, might cost more in short run, but long term its gonna cost you less.

Also you need to find the cause of why the headgasket went, or else it may very well happen again. Was it due to overheating etc?

Just some things to consider.

Edited by aussie_camry

• 1 month later...

hi all

tarago done head gasket any one with any idea how much for repairs vs getting replacement motor??

im not 100% sure which way to go

Steve

Have an 83 tarago with 2y engine..blew head gasket,cost me around $1300 to repair...which was overkill i thought, just a plain head gasket repair, with no major headwork should cost you around $1000 plus any head repairs as extra...if its an early tarago.

john