intermediate steering shaft 'clunk'

PaulG

On slow speed left hand turns I can feel a 'clunk' through steering wheel. According to USA ToyotaNation forum this is a common problem (although they have a right turn problem). Something called an intermediate steering shaft.

Anyone experienced this?

I did. Replaced by the dealer - no probs since.

HTH

On slow speed left hand turns I can feel a 'clunk' through steering wheel. According to USA ToyotaNation forum this is a common problem (although they have a right turn problem). Something called an intermediate steering shaft.

Anyone experienced this?

it an issue all of the larger toyota's with electronic steer assist are having mostly rav4

Yeah our FWD Grande did it frequently between about 16,000 k's and 19,000 k's, stopped shortly before the 20K service. Hasn't done it since, now at 38,000.

Dwayne

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone experienced this?

I had mine replaced under warranty about 2 months ago and haven't had a problem since.

• 1 month later...
I get this in my 08 Rav...am taking it in next week to get it looked at

It was just picked up on my 60k service today, Toyota is replacing it under warranty this Friday - apparently they are seeing plenty of Klugers needing the replacement mod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone experienced this?

Thankyou... I'm glad I've see this forum, I'm having the same problem, but it hasn't been sorted out yet, and my warranty runs out soon.

Edited by DAVID M WILLIAMS

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have Toyota Kluger bought in Nov2012 and I have noticed after 3000KM the steering wheel mostly while turning left makes a "clunk" sound, its getting worse. Had done my first Service @ Toyota Blacktown few weeks ago and have been told its a known issue with new Klugers and will be informed to customers later on what will be done. Its been weeks now I haven't received any response as yet. May be they will fix it after the steering rack comes off one day in the middle of the road. On the int rate of 12.8% (5yrs T)by the time I pay off my Kluger it will be > $70,000 and its a huge amount of $$$ but guess what there is no immediate response from Toyota ! When when it comes to selling they are on top of it ! Can Toyota reply ?