ZRE Cruise Control

Hey all, I got a quote for an AP800 aftermarket cruise control kit from a Toyota dealership. It was $920 including fitting.

This seems expensive, is it?

And, also, the controller (the thing with the buttons on it that goes on the steering wheel) sends its signals to the rest of the system via an infrared link to a module situated on the part of the steering wheel that doesn't move. (Near the lever that adjusts tilt and reach). Would this be reliable?

And, in fact, how reliable is a system like this?

i honestly dont think this is a cruise control unit. Its one of those throttle control's.

Its looks the same but honestly is more dangerous to be using than cruise control.

CRUISE CONTROL: keeps the car at a particular speed

THROTTLE CONTROL: keeps the rpm to what u lock it at. the only this is this... normal driving and up hills it will work exactly like cruise control

BUT When going down hills the revs will be locked but till not lock the speed....so saying that the car will go faster down the hill.

I dont have one of these but ive played with one. Not a corolla...so who knows i might be wrong about this one. But all i can say is that it looks like the throttle controller 2 me

Edited by Armstrong

Well, Armstrong, just re-read your post following what we talked about today.

Even if it locks rpm, that's the same as speed because the two are related.

Ie, if it locks it at 3000rpm and I'm in 6th gear, then, it'll also be locked to 110km/h (or around there somewhere).

As speed increases, so would the RPM, thanks to the gear ratios and whatnot.

But, *fingers crossed* it'll work like every other cruise control I've ever used :D.

Ordered from www.toyotapartsales.com

Can't wait :D

<lazy> :P

Can you please update us and let us know if it all works because i'll be doing the same as well if it does!

Well, Armstrong, just re-read your post following what we talked about today.

Even if it locks rpm, that's the same as speed because the two are related.

Ie, if it locks it at 3000rpm and I'm in 6th gear, then, it'll also be locked to 110km/h (or around there somewhere).

As speed increases, so would the RPM, thanks to the gear ratios and whatnot.

But, *fingers crossed* it'll work like every other cruise control I've ever used :D.

Ordered from www.toyotapartsales.com

Can't wait :D

<lazy> :P

like i said to you today..if it turns out like i said it still good to have. Hopefully i'm wrong about it being throttle control

Good luck bro

Edited by Armstrong

i honestly dont think this is a cruise control unit. Its one of those throttle control's.

Its looks the same but honestly is more dangerous to be using than cruise control.

CRUISE CONTROL: keeps the car at a particular speed

THROTTLE CONTROL: keeps the rpm to what u lock it at. the only this is this... normal driving and up hills it will work exactly like cruise control

BUT When going down hills the revs will be locked but till not lock the speed....so saying that the car will go faster down the hill.

I dont have one of these but ive played with one. Not a corolla...so who knows i might be wrong about this one. But all i can say is that it looks like the throttle controller 2 me

Well it looks to me like the Toyota standard cruise control stork that they currently use. I would say that if it does actually work (in that the ECU is there for it), it will be a proper cruise control that can adjust the throttle appropriately. If the ECU is not in place, it will not operate at all. I HIGHLY DOUBT that it will be a fixed throttle control if the ECU is currently present.

Well guys, unfortunately, even if the ECU does have the cruise control capabilities, I can't see any way of plugging into it because that empty socket in the steering wheel to plug the cable into isn't there.

So, any other suggestions, now that I have the parts in hand? I wonder if I could hard wire it into the computer..

Does anyone know how the computer works in the ZRE?

• 4 months later...
Well guys, unfortunately, even if the ECU does have the cruise control capabilities, I can't see any way of plugging into it because that empty socket in the steering wheel to plug the cable into isn't there.

So, any other suggestions, now that I have the parts in hand? I wonder if I could hard wire it into the computer..

Does anyone know how the computer works in the ZRE?

The Ascent Model for 2007-2008 ZRE152 don't have that extra port to plug the OEM cruise controller in. you would need to upgrade the whole steering wheel which is around $1900 AUD. not worth the price. infrared link is not that reliable. I would recommend you using a drive-by-Wire Autron AusCruise after-market cruise control which works the same but doesnt have the cancel feature but you can still cancel using the break pedal or on\off, its around $750 installed. If your in melbourne speak to AudioFX or call 1300 AUDIOFX these guys will install 2 cruise module units and it will work inconjunction with the ECU so there is a bit of custom work there from the auto electriction. Hope this helps :)

Edited by jskill

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Does anyone know if this works on the new facelift ZRE's?

Edited by corza

• 1 year later...

I have installed this on a 2010 facelift accent hatch. It is literally a ten minute job. I kid you not. Disconnect battery and wait 90 secs. Remove steering wheel rear covers and release the wire clips that secure the airbag. Remove airbag. You don't even have to disconnect it. Just place it face-up on steering column. Disconnect black earth wire and tape it up. Install the cruise control stalk using the supplied bolts. Plug in the cruise control wire (2010 accent update is already pre-wired) and connect the new black wire to where the old one went. Secure new wiring with cable tie. Re-install airbag by pushing it back into place (it's easy - the clips automatically snap into place). Reinstall left side steering wheel cover. You have to modify the right side cover slightly with a dremel tool or similar to enable the stalk to fit over the cover. Reconnect battery. Turn on ignition. Check Airbag light (should go out as per normal). Activate cruise and you will see green "cruise" light come on on dash. Road test and enjoy. It really is that simple. $160 US on ebay. Can't believe the dealer wanted over $900 for some crappy after-market kit.