1994 Apollo 2.2 Cyl Timing Issue

Ben4301

Hi all,

I'll start by rephrasing the info from the Gregorys Manual for those who don't have one handy and i'll ask a few questions after.

IGNITION TIMING

(1) Connect an accurate tachometer and timing light to the engine as described later in this section.

(2) Start engine and allow it to reach the normal operating temperature 

(3) Remove the cap from the diagnostic connector 

(4) Using a split pin or paper clip, bridge terminals TE1 and E1 of the diagnosis connector 

(5) With engine idling at the specified speed, check the ignition timing with the timing light. The 10 Degree BTDC timing mark on the timing cover should be aligned with the notch on the crankshaft pulley

(6) If adjustment is necessary, loosen the distributor body retaining bolts and turn the distributor body until the correct setting is obtained

(7) Tighten the distributor body bolts and ensure timing is correct

(8) Check the timing advances to between 13 degrees and 22 degrees BTDC at idle speed. If the timing is incorrect, check the ignition system for faults blah blah as it goes on.

Question 1 : Connecting the TE and TE1 cancels the advance, does it not ?

Question 2: After disconnecting the paper clip, my engine retards to 7-8 degrees, does not advance ?

Question 3: Impossible to attain 22 degrees on this engine, nor the american version. Did this one come from a planet we don't know of ?

I have tested everything down to headlights, nothing wrong.

Anyone had this problem before, or can a member test this method to confirm its actually incorrect ?

Thanks Heaps

Ben

TE1 and E1 will revert to base timing with no advance or retard.

In regards to the process and specs, your manual is correct. It matches with the Toyota factory service manual.

Is the vehicle doing anything odd, giving you reason to play with the timing?

Have you had the distributor leads off at all?

When/how did this all start happening? Were you doing maintenance? Were you just driving along?

A bit more background info would be helpful.

Simply, I've just replaced the fuel injectors. The distributor and nothing else has changed or been touched.

After changing the injectors over, it has increased the power ten fold, however its running rich and pinging plus backfiring.

The ECU is not throwing up and errors and have tried it in test mode when its playing up, however no errors occur.

Hope this makes further sense

Thanks

Ben

Are the injectors new or used? Genuine of aftermarket? Definitely the correct ones for that series engine? 

Are you able to switch back to the old injectors and retest if you have not done so already?

The pinging would likely be triggering the knock sensor and telling the ECU to retard timing.

Assuming it is backfiring into the exhast and not the intake, it would appear the extra fuel and retarded timing is causing the backfire.

Thanks for responding,

The injectors are a swap over set, so no I cant test them. These are the correct set for this vehicle. One thing I did do is unplug the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator and the problem went away. So I'm guessing thats where the problem may lie.

Thanks

Ben