2008 Camry Altise fuel economy

davegw

Hi, I have been getting some pretty crappy fuel economy in the last 8 fuel fill ups. I usually get between 8.8 -9.4 L/100 km ,but have been getting an average of 10.4 L/ 100 km, roughly 470km before the fuel light comes on where I used to get around 600 km a tank most times.

I have been using standard unleaded 91 ,not E10 , and have been using the same caltex service station. My tyres were replaced about 3 tank fills ago .I thought maybe because the tyre tread was getting quite low, maybe that had something to do with it. I always check the pressure every week. The car was service about 800 kms ago. I have just filled up with 98 fuel, whether this makes a difference or not , I will soon see.I don't use the air con much so I know it is not that, as I used the air con likewise when I was getting better fuel economy. I even put through a fuel cleaner last fill before this one.

If anyone has ideas, it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I would start with a clean/check/replacement of the air filter, then a clean of the throttle body and the idle control valve. There are quite a number of Youtube videos about how to clean the throttle body and the idle control valve.

Also check/clean the PCV valve [positive crankcase ventilation valve] because this can impact upon fuel economy.

Good idea to check the engine valve cover for any signs of engine sludge build up. If the oil looks a very golden to black colour, then do an oil and filter change.

Something else to consider especially if your odometer reading is close to 160.000km is to replace the transmission filter and fluid..

Thanks Ashley, the car currently has 130 000 kms.The throttle body was cleaned ,and new oil/oil filter and air filter. thanks for your advice about the PCV too.I will check out your recommendations.

Cheers.

Dave.