2A-GE??

I've been wondering for awhile if anyone has ever tried fitting a 16V GE head to a 2A Block?

I'm about to strip down and rebuild a 2A that comes out when i change to 4A-GE. I really like the 2A, it's done me proud at many a set of lights.

I've taken the engine well up into the high 7k rpm area and notice nothing more than what i call a wheasy head, this from an engine that is specified to redline at 5,600 rpm. It loves to rev, even with me behind the wheel spinning it to 7k day in day out for the last five years. The rings have finally given up so rebuild it is.

If a bolt-on GE is possible, i'll spend some money on some tougher internals and maybe even a balancing, perhaps even a GZE option.

this is to transplant into a lightweight kit car when i get round to building it.

Why muck around so much when you have to pretty much rebuild the whole engine, especially the pistons have let go. If you have a bulletproof bottom end then I can see why you would investigate into bolting a more efficient head as that is where most power is made or lost.

If your intending to put it into a lightweight kit car then I suggest to just keep the 4A whole and get it put in. I can't answer your question as my knowledge in Toyota engines is not very very extensive so whether you can bolt the head on or not remains to be answered.

But going by the code name and the fact that the 2A was intended to rev to 5.6K starting off with a 4A might be a much wiser idea as it was designed to be revved. Besides how many of the components left in the 2A do you intend to keep?

1. First its a 4A, 4th gen A series engine VS 2nd gen A series enegine.

2. Aftermarket support for the 4A is much bigger then the 2A

Just something to think about

i know people have put 4age heads on 4ac blocks, i think they had to use 4age pistons.

not sure if the 4ag head will bolt onto a 2a or even 3a block, i guess u will have to somehow fit the 4ag pistons into the 2a block.

i think the 4age will bolt up to the 2a engine mounts, then again you might as well buy a twincam ae82 (better equipment, brakes, gbox, etc..)

they have iron blocks so light weight vs power, just use the 4age gear unless u want to be in the 1300cc class (better off using a motorbike engine)

also:

2a = 1300cc A engine

3a = 1500cc A engine

4a = 1600cc A engine

c = carby/emission control

g = wideangle dohc

f = narrowangle dohc

e = efi