New Member. sv21 hard to start cold

Neon

Hi everyone i'm new here and would just like to say hi and ask one question. My sv21 is very hard to start in the morning. i've pulled the cold start injector out and cleaned it becasue i thought it might be blocked but it still doesn't work. so i tested it the way the workshop manual says to and it seems fine. I also read in the workshop manual that it is turned on by a thing called a thermotime switch so i tested the switch and it is good a well. So i was just wondering if this is a common problem and if anyone knows how to fix it.

Edited by Neon

i got the same thing cuz... i never bothered to check it out... i mean it may not be as bad as yours but in the morning it just takes 1 long crank and then starts easily the second time... but that's only early in the morning n i got used to it anyway

i got the same thing cuz... i never bothered to check it out... i mean it may not be as bad as yours but in the morning it just takes 1 long crank and then starts easily the second time... but that's only early in the morning n i got used to it anyway

mine does the same as yours execpt it will start to do it agian if it isn't started for about four hours

not sure if this info will help you....

I also drive a 1992 Honda Civic, starting her up for the first time of the day is abit hard, but what I do is press the gas pedal several times before starting her up.

try doing that, other than that I have no idea what's your problem is.

When I had my old sv21 camry it was harder to start once it was cold, but it always started on the first go.

But that could be because it was mostly garaged.

it could be a coolant temperature sensor?

I've narrowed it down to either be the coolant temperture switch (thermotime switch) or the cold start injector i just want to no if anyone knows how to determine which one it is

• 2 months later...

hi all, new to this forum! :toast:

i dont know why i didnt find this place b4 hand?!!?! ive been reading alot of posts through out this forum a while now.

thought id start on something meaningful!

i used to drive, and still have, an sv21 EFI before i got my sxv20r advantage just 1mth ago.

u'll need to excuse me as i will try to do my best to explain.

i have the exact same problem as you, or as most sv21 owners re the cold starts, and my problem was/is as bad as yours. the solution? well, my dad being a mechanic found out after 10years, that it wasnt any type of engine or thingamadoda related, it was the wiring from the ignition switch inside, to the starter motor, to the engine. everytime u try to start, it just wont start.

so to solve it, he placed a normal push down switch next 2 the steering wheel. whenever u try start the engine cold first time, it would always fail, so u turned the key "on" position, press the push down button and the car would start.

i might pop out 2molo and post some fotos of the wiring, the switch to make it alot easier. i know 3 other sv21 owners with this problem, and my old man as given them the "switch treatment". its a reoccurring problem on these cars.

so if u have checked everywhere, its most likely the wiring @ fault.

hope i helped, cheers!

hi all, new to this forum! :toast:

i dont know why i didnt find this place b4 hand?!!?! ive been reading alot of posts through out this forum a while now.

thought id start on something meaningful!

i used to drive, and still have, an sv21 EFI before i got my sxv20r advantage just 1mth ago.

u'll need to excuse me as i will try to do my best to explain.

i have the exact same problem as you, or as most sv21 owners re the cold starts, and my problem was/is as bad as yours. the solution? well, my dad being a mechanic found out after 10years, that it wasnt any type of engine or thingamadoda related, it was the wiring from the ignition switch inside, to the starter motor, to the engine. everytime u try to start, it just wont start.

so to solve it, he placed a normal push down switch next 2 the steering wheel. whenever u try start the engine cold first time, it would always fail, so u turned the key "on" position, press the push down button and the car would start.

i might pop out 2molo and post some fotos of the wiring, the switch to make it alot easier. i know 3 other sv21 owners with this problem, and my old man as given them the "switch treatment". its a reoccurring problem on these cars.

so if u have checked everywhere, its most likely the wiring @ fault.

hope i helped, cheers!

Hmm... handy tip... thanks for sharing... well if it isnt any of the above... how old is the battery... a strong battery should kick the engin over with ease... the weaker the battery the harder it is to start... get a 450cca battery and stay away from the nrma 330cca cheapies... my mates nrma battery keeps dying every year even with refills of distilled water... cca or cold cranking amps is the strength of a battery when starting the higher the better... also the more $$$ usually

Wixy:

This sound exactly like my problem. When it's cold no matter how long you crank it it won't start first time but starts fine second time. I'm very interested in this push switch thing please post pics and do you have any idea how it works.

DJ-CAMRY MCV20: My battery is just a cheapy i don't know how many cranking amps it is but it doesn't seem to have any trouble cranking the engine

Wixy:

This sound exactly like my problem. When it's cold no matter how long you crank it it won't start first time but starts fine second time. I'm very interested in this push switch thing please post pics and do you have any idea how it works.

DJ-CAMRY MCV20: My battery is just a cheapy i don't know how many cranking amps it is but it doesn't seem to have any trouble cranking the engine

ok will post pics soon.

i doubt its the battery. my battery is a cheapy, and prior to that i used an old battery from a corona that my old man recharged, re filled it with acid/water. so i mean, try it out, but i doubt its the battery. dont waste money on batteries just yet.

with mine, it always cranks the 1st time, but on the 2nd crank it would NEVER start the car. u would have to wait 10mins b4 cranking and having a successful start.

u would have to wait 10mins b4 cranking and having a successful start.

Dam that would be annoying. Mine always starts second time. but still post pics i'll still try this casue a push button start sound awesome :P

gday neon,

sorry for the late over due post

i have the pics!

sorri, i think its the starter motor that it is connected to, can anyone here verify that for me?

i have attached all in chronological order where the switch leads to.

plz only mod @ your own risk if u are pursing that path. i am no mechanic! my old man is the one haha.

cheers hope its of much help.

Wixy, thanks for the pics i just have a few questions about them.

1. how does the switch connect to the ingition switch.

2.What sort of relay connects the black wire and the blue wire.

3. does the black wire or the blue wire actually connect to the battery terminals or is the relay just mounted on the battery.

by the way that is the starter motor that it connects to.

sure thang neon. will get back 2 u asap. old man working in malaysia now (for toyota incidently) so i will email now! sorri for the long a$$ waits lol. being a mod in another forum kinda drains me at times.

cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Pato, Yes i know pumping the accelerator won't do anything for an efi engine i just thought it can't hurt so why not give it a go. I did check the basics like the spark plugs. As far as i know this is a common problem with the car.

• 3 years later...

I just had this problem only this week with my 91 Camry. We checked the injector in the morning but it worked. A put in a different battery and had no issues since.

according to this thread, i posted up some pics of how my old man moded our sv21 to solve this issue. i still have the car to date and it still works (the mod that is)

the problem with this is not actually a cold start issue, rather its an ignition/electrical contact problem within the ignition compartment. my sv21 is moded so that if the key ignition fails to fire the engine, u'll be able to start it via a simple flick switch - like a modern day on off switch u get in expensive new cars (or hyundais lol). the flick switch is connected to the battery +ve & -ve terminals, and another wire is connected to the engine compartment (vague i know...) - method is similar to jump starting another car - but without the other car. this has worked for 7 years with the same battery, which is under your normal battery maintenance schedules of replenishing water and charging.