lighting upgrade for landcruiser

mudman2

Hi ...

for those of you with a 100 series landcruiser you would be aware of the terrible headlights that are inflicted on us as standard ..

if you're looking to improve the lighting without spending a small fortune on bull bars and driving lights it's worth taking as look at the HIR halogen infrared replacement globes by IPF, these are distributed by ARB and are "brilliant" :D :D

i have had them in my cruiser for the last 2 years and am extremely happy, terrific light output, makes driving around the city much better, terrific in the outback, still worth having driving lights outback but they are good ... from memory about $360.00 for the 4 globes ..

they have lasted 2 years and 110,000 klms.. excellent investment :D

steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi ...

for those of you with a 100 series landcruiser you would be aware of the terrible headlights that are inflicted on us as standard .. 

if you're looking to improve the lighting without spending a small fortune on bull bars and driving lights it's worth taking as look at the HIR halogen infrared replacement globes by IPF, these are distributed by ARB and are "brilliant"  :D 

i have had them in my cruiser for the last 2 years and am extremely happy, terrific light output, makes driving around the city much better, terrific in the outback, still worth having driving lights outback but they are good ... from memory about $360.00 for the 4 globes ..

they have lasted 2 years and 110,000 klms..  excellent investment  :D

steve

Unfortunately the 'HIR' globes dont fit earlier models :-((

Most recent Toyota vehicles (say 1990 onwards) will benifet from a wiring loom upgrade - even if you use standard power globes. Higher wattage globes will benifet even more.

Those in doubt should check the voltage drop from the battery to the globe on high beam. The power loss is the square of the of the difference in voltage.

There are several paces manufacturing them for those who dont want to make their own loom.

Dave

• 2 months later...

I picked up a recent 4wd monthly (gold edition) mag - i think thats its correct title - which had lots of touring upgrades.

Three types of main beam light upgrades were mentioned which aparently came top 3 in a recent test of theirs. Number 3 on the list was half the price of numbers 1 and 2 and almost as good. You'll have to bear with me as i don't have the name on me, but i will post that up as soon as i can. I am thinking about attaching a pair to the front bar of my FJ62 as that really has got poor headlights (still with FJ60 round headlights!) - and the bar doesn't help i don't think.

~PHIL

Most recent Toyota vehicles (say 1990 onwards) will benifet from a wiring loom upgrade - even if you use standard power globes.  Higher wattage globes will benifet even more.

Those in doubt should check the voltage drop from the battery to the globe on high beam.  The power loss is the square of the of the difference in voltage.

There are several paces manufacturing them for those who dont want to make their own loom.

Dave

Even if you don't upgrade the whole harness, get the grounds upgraded. I tested the wiring harness from my car (94 Celica GT-Four) - with engine off it was only getting about 8-9V. After the grounds were upgraded ie. grounding directly to chassis) the voltage was 12V...