HILUX RN106R SR5

Hi guys,

I am back into the TOYOC forums whilst I end my stint with Skylines. I'm looking to purchase one of these bad boys after I sell my R33 Skyline (PM for details)

2784458.jpg

My question is:

As massive and as testosterone filled these things look, does this 1990 TOYOTA HILUX RN106R SR5 Dual Cab need to have some sort of engineers certificate? Or is it how it is?

An example of what one of these had listed as extras are below.

Any input would be of great use.

Cheers!

-2" Body Lift

-2.5" Extended Heavy Duty Greasable Shackles (Front & Rear)

-Extended Brake Lines

-Extended Wheel Base

-TJM Flared Guards

-Chrome Door & Tailgate Handles, Mirrors, Grill, Bar, Apron & Headlight Surrounds

-ARB Heavy Duty Front Bull Bar (Bolt on for Off Road)

-Snake Racing 2" Lifted Front Cross Member

-Dropped Heavy Duty Drag Link (Steering)

-Heavy Duty Steering Torque Rod

-Heavy Duty Steering Dampener

-Momo Steering Wheel

-Inverted Rear Shock Conversion

-Rancho Heavy Duty 9-way Adjustable Shock Absorbers

-1.5" Raised Heavy Duty Springs

-2" Lift Suspension Blocks

-ARB Diff Lockers Front & Rear

-2" Wheel Spacers All Around (4" Wider Wheel Track)

-Extended, Reinforced & Balanced Tailshaft

-15" x 10" Eagle Polished Alloy Wheels (U.S.)

-Brand New 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Tyres

-2.5 Exhaust

-Kenwood CD Player & Speakers

-Remote Central Locking

-Alarm - Door & Window Protection, Shock & Motion Sensors and Black Wiring

-3 Point Immobiliser

-Fresh Paint (Never Smashed)

-Long Range Fuel Tank

-Canopy Available (Not Fitted)

Read the national code of practice for light vehicle modification and the corresponding ADR's (go to the DoTaRS website).

You will find that the majority of modifications people do require certification or aren't exactly road legal.

You prolly will need to get a lot of those mods blue plated by an engineer as the suspension has been altered from factory specifications. As tough as it does look with all the good stuff on it(that list is very impressive and expensive!!) you will find that some of the mods done make the car uncomfortable to drive and annoying. Like not fitting in undercover car parks for one!!!!

Trust me as someone who owns a Hilux(SR5 99 Dual cab) sometimes the overkill factor such as this make the car a pain to drive on the street. It would be great off road but are you going to be driving more off road or on road?? this is the question i asked myself when i bought mine earlier this year and opted for something more stock looking but with nice added extra's. (canopy,tray liner, bullbar, spot lights, H/D tow bar etc etc)

If you buy the car from another state then you have problems because it will have to go through the rego inspection and they'll have a field day on something like that. However, if you buy it in the ACT and it's already registered you just have to fill out the form and have the rego signed over and it's all good...

Come Christmas time though I always see those mobile rego inspection units on all the major roads around here, that's when you get problems.

Forgot to say that thing up there looks like a beast B)

If you buy the car from another state then you have problems because it will have to go through the rego inspection and they'll have a field day on something like that. However, if you buy it in the ACT and it's already registered you just have to fill out the form and have the rego signed over and it's all good...

Come Christmas time though I always see those mobile rego inspection units on all the major roads around here, that's when you get problems.

Forgot to say that thing up there looks like a beast B)

I hate dickson. Grr.

I thought that even if you bought the car here and it was over 'x' amount of years - it has to go over the pits.

I purchased an RA28 here and still had to get it engineered and taken over the pits. Grrr..

Does the price of a certificate vary from car to car? Or is it a flat rate? I used that Wilson fella and he missed a couple of things which was pretty annoying.

I contacted the seller of the above testosterone filled hilux and asked whether or not it came with an engineer's certificate.

The reply was:

No she doesn't have an engineers certificate. You just need to take her to

an NRMA and they will certify her for the modifications.

Ta

The car is currently in NSW, so I will have to have it inspected before putting it in my name.

..now I don't know how to take that. Does that mean that a certificate isn't required, but NRMA will provide something that I can show for the inspection? Or regardless of what NRMA can certify, anything modified will need an engineer's certificate?

Hmm.. pondering. Any assistance will be awesomeness.

(I assume when she writes 'her', she's referring to the hilux, right?)

Lol, I assume when you say "she" it means the owner of the testosterone filled Hilux is a woman??? :lol:

Pretty sure she's/he's just telling you fibs to make you buy it. Surely you would have to take it through your hated Dickson pits if you bought it in NSW wouldn't you?? I don't think NRMA has the power to certify vehicles as being roadworthy/compliant...

Call up the road authorities and see if they're any help, I doubt they will be. Check out the NCOP on the DoTaRS webiste, you will find that most (even small) mods require certification for some reason or another, usually safety. For example, suspension lift kits are frowned upon because of their influence on the type of impact with another vehicle. On 4WD's the chassis rails are higher already, with a lift kit you are further raising the height of the chassis rails. On impact, the chassis rails are the things carrying much of the weight and therefore they will be the two points on the front of the vehicle where most energy will be transferred. With a car up that high you're raising the major point of impact from the other vehcile's perspective from about rib/shoulder height to head height. So if you hit me in my lowered Corolla from the side I'm more likely to be decapitated than take the impact on the shoulder. Just eyeballing that thing, the other thing you would fail for is the wheel/tyre size. Looks like maximum width is exceeded and offset is probably different. You'll see what I mean when you read the NCOP suspension and rims section.

thanks for that!

yeah i figured that NRMA wouldnt have much power, if any, on the modifications. dickson wil still want a cert.

Ahhh well, I guess Ill have to settle for something less smaller and less fun looking!