Manual Window Regulators

94CamryCSI

Hi guys,

Its great to see an Australian site about camrys. I have a Gen 3, 94 CSI (5s fe).

My problem is that my window regulators keep dying on me. I have owned the car for 2 years, and among the multitude of repairs I have had to have done, I have also got a dead window regulator in EVERY door in the car. Now, my Driver's door one has broken again (1 year after replacement with a second hand one). I wound the one in my car back, and it lasted a week before dying again. Is this a common problem? Is there any way I can fix it permanently?

Ideally, i would like to change the manual windows to power windows, but not sure if I could afford it.

thanks for ur help

ankit

I wouldn't say it's common, but i'm part of a Camry club and from time to time, i've heard it does happen mate. I had a CSi 94 model and broke the regulator in the front passenger door... wound it down too fast, and sorta kept goin... make sure you're not goin too quick... also check that the joints aren't all dry and stuff.

I have power windows in my other 95 Tourer (aftermarket of course)... you'll spend around 300-500 bucks, but you won't have this issue, and it's more stylish :yahoo:

Edited by Whip Cracker

I wouldn't say it's common, but i'm part of a Camry club and from time to time, i've heard it does happen mate. I had a CSi 94 model and broke the regulator in the front passenger door... wound it down too fast, and sorta kept goin... make sure you're not goin too quick... also check that the joints aren't all dry and stuff.

I have power windows in my other 95 Tourer (aftermarket of course)... you'll spend around 300-500 bucks, but you won't have this issue, and it's more stylish :yahoo:

Thought you had to have working manual windows to convert to power if you were using an aftermarket kit.

Well... why would ya need that? it replaces the whole thing?? The kit gets installed, the old regulators are taken out, and a cap is placed over the hole where the winder thingy is, and yeah... the window buttons are either put next to the centre console, or on the doors (or both)

Well... why would ya need that? it replaces the whole thing?? The kit gets installed, the old regulators are taken out, and a cap is placed over the hole where the winder thingy is, and yeah... the window buttons are either put next to the centre console, or on the doors (or both)

Oh okay.... Any ideas where i would go to get the conversion done in canberra? Anwhere I have gone to so far, just tells me that they put a motor on the regulator, that turns the existing regulator, i.e. i have to have working manual windows to begin with. As for the buttons on the door trim or centre console, i don't really care!

Well... I'm guessin they use a part of the regulator... what part is actually broken though? I mean... worst case scenario, you go to a wrecker and get it installed by a mechanic... should only look at $100-$130 to repair inc the regulator (we ended up snappin one... that's what we did... works fine). Probably has dry joints or sumfin mate.

Don't know anything about Canberra though mate... never been... let alone NSW, lol.