A letter of compliance

Hi,

I want to import 1992 Toyota Celsior used car to Melbourne. Could you please advise me, where I can get a letter of compliance for Toyota car? I have read all regulations and files from DOTARS but I have finished with big confuse. If you have experienced with importing car to Australia, please explain me. Thanks.

Hmmm, I'm not sure whether or not all imported cars undergo the same thing when they come into the country. I was under the assumption all importers provided all the necessary work to comply with the standards?

When I had my skyline imported, the importers (southside performance imports) arranged everything for me so I could just pop into the shopfront and take ownership of the car over the counter. They had to ensure that everything complied to all australian standards.. which meant having to bust through parcel shelf speakers to put the child restraint clips in.

Hi,

I want to import 1992 Toyota Celsior used car to Melbourne. Could you please advise me, where I can get a letter of compliance for Toyota car? I have read all regulations and files from DOTARS but I have finished with big confuse. If you have experienced with importing car to Australia, please explain me. Thanks.

The deal is you can't import a car yourself unless you are a Registered Automotive Work Shop (RAWS) and by the sounds of it you aren't. Why not consider buying a car that has been landed and complied or find a RAWS that scours the auctions and imports on order?

Are you sure you read the DoTaRS documents?????

Hmmm, I'm not sure whether or not all imported cars undergo the same thing when they come into the country. I was under the assumption all importers provided all the necessary work to comply with the standards?

When I had my skyline imported, the importers (southside performance imports) arranged everything for me so I could just pop into the shopfront and take ownership of the car over the counter. They had to ensure that everything complied to all australian standards.. which meant having to bust through parcel shelf speakers to put the child restraint clips in.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer. I have a few questions for you and please, allow me. Do you buy yourself or do you order them? How much cost you for their service fees? Do you know someone can arrange import for my car? Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Cliff

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer. I have a few questions for you and please, allow me. Do you buy yourself or do you order them? How much cost you for their service fees? Do you know someone can arrange import for my car? Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Cliff

Yeah there are heaps of importers mate. Just buy yourself a copy of High Performance Imports at your local newsagent and they have heaps of ads for importers. A majority of them import alot of Nissan's, but slowly there have been a steady increase of Toyota imports hitting the shores. Mark II, Caldina etc..

There's heaps of them around with websites, but i cant think of any from the top of my head.

sspi.com.au

j-spec.com.au

svi.com.au

The way that I imported my car was that I provided them with a budget and the type of car that I wanted. They themselves deal with their people who scour around the auction websites with what I wanted. They contacted me at work with photo's of the car and specs that was in my budget -- and of course, you're not obligated to buy it.

Once I received details of an R33 that I wanted, I told them to bid for it and I put in a deposit. When I won it, it took about 6 weeks for it to arrive in Australia. That's where they took it to their shop and did whatever they had to, to reach the aus requirements.

Then I just transferred the rego after the 3 months rego they gave with the car and here it still remains.

I reckon just take it easy. Join the forums and clubs and read about their experiences and shizzle..

I hope that answers your question(s). :blink:

Just keep in mind that you can't import anything with serious mods. Minor things like wheels and exhaust are ok, but huge turbos with stroker kits are not. The importers will be able to tell you what is ok and what isn't.

I know we shouldn't redirect to other websites, but skylinesdownunder has a lot of members who have imported cars and can give reviews on the various importers and et cetera around the place.

another good place is skylines australia. there are forums with just those in your state and is a great place. ive been a member there since ive had mine and there are always ppl to give advice and lend things to ya if u need to pass rego :D

J-spec DO offer to and have imported vehicles with major mods. ie race purpose cars, left hand drive etc.. but they;re just unable to comply it.

Hi,

Cheers,

Cliff

Yeah there are heaps of importers mate. Just buy yourself a copy of High Performance Imports at your local newsagent and they have heaps of ads for importers. A majority of them import alot of Nissan's, but slowly there have been a steady increase of Toyota imports hitting the shores. Mark II, Caldina etc..

There's heaps of them around with websites, but i cant think of any from the top of my head.

sspi.com.au

j-spec.com.au

svi.com.au

The way that I imported my car was that I provided them with a budget and the type of car that I wanted. They themselves deal with their people who scour around the auction websites with what I wanted. They contacted me at work with photo's of the car and specs that was in my budget -- and of course, you're not obligated to buy it.

Once I received details of an R33 that I wanted, I told them to bid for it and I put in a deposit. When I won it, it took about 6 weeks for it to arrive in Australia. That's where they took it to their shop and did whatever they had to, to reach the aus requirements.

Then I just transferred the rego after the 3 months rego they gave with the car and here it still remains.

I reckon just take it easy. Join the forums and clubs and read about their experiences and shizzle..

I hope that answers your question(s). :blink:

Hi,

Thank you very much for everyone who contributed to my questions. I have found some importers in Melbourne and they offer me for to import Toyota Aristo from Japan. However the AU$ 6000.00 Toyota Aristo 3.0 V Package Twin Turbo with less than 50000 Km car will be cost me more than AU$ 12000.00 for on the road. The only way to import Aristo is under RAW scheme and it can not import under the SEVS category. It’s not very cheap for 15 years old car. I have only one advantage on importing car from Japan is we can choose and check car thoroughly by my family in Tokyo and Nagoya, Japan. Also about spare parts for car, even thought I can get spare parts from Japan but postage is very expensive to send to Australia. So I will set back for a while and more research to import Toyota Supra under SEVS scheme. Thank you very much again your guy. I’m very happy about receiving valuable information from all of you. Have a nice day to anyone.

All the best,

Cliff

Just keep in mind that you can't import anything with serious mods. Minor things like wheels and exhaust are ok, but huge turbos with stroker kits are not. The importers will be able to tell you what is ok and what isn't.

I know we shouldn't redirect to other websites, but skylinesdownunder has a lot of members who have imported cars and can give reviews on the various importers and et cetera around the place.

Hi,

Your right. Thank you very much.

Google "Japanese Imports"...

http://www.adrenalinimports.com.au/

http://www.nagoyamotors.com.au/index.asp

http://www.importcars.com.au/

Plus 1000 more results...

Most of these companies have a feature where you order what you want and they find one and buy it at auction.

Hi,

Thank you very much. I'll check it later.

Have a nice day.

Cheers

...I have only one advantage on importing car from Japan is we can choose and check car thoroughly by my family in Tokyo and Nagoya, Japan...

Another option with importing is the personnel import scheme. If you owned a car for 12 months or more over seas you are able to bring it over with some special deals/exemptions I think, but check with the importers as I don't want to give out wrong info. They will require you to prove you owned and drove the car during that 12 month period though.

you can't bring in JZA80's under SEVS, I think you'll have a hard time finding a 1988 GA70 too...

You're basically stuck with the RAWS approved vehicles unless you're after a pre-1989 build car, which do work out to be a LOT cheaper to get complianced.

The site with all the info you need is http://rvcs.dotars.gov.au/

Edited by rollamods