Help required - complete loss of power under load

CAMAC

I've got a bit of a problem.

My 1990 Apollo/Camry Auto 2L Carb completely loses power when under load, but only after it has warmed up to operating temperature it seems.

Taking the foot off the accelerator and reapplying sometimes solves the problem, but it just comes back again the next time the engine is under load.

It generally idles ok, but occassionally idles rough and even stalls - but I think this might only be when the AC is on and the thermo fan kicks in at the same time - ie idling under load sort of.

I've replaced the air filter, the fuel filter, the spark plugs, the leads (and the oil and filter, but that was just because I was in the filter replacing mood), sprayed carby cleaner in and around the carb, put 2 lots of injector cleaner through, used premium unleaded and the problem just won't go away.

I noticed a while ago that the hose from the carb to the distributor was off (is this the vacuum advance line?), but it's back on now and doesn't seem to make any difference. I checked for suction at the distributor end of the tube and it (like this current problem) does suck.

Is it possible that the pump beneath the distributor is faulty?

I also noticed that the distributor cap seal is slightly protruding. Could a broken seal here have anything to do with it?

I'm supposed to be driving to Sydney on Saturday, and I'm rapidly eating into the travel and christmas grocery budget. That, and not having any time off work rules out taking it to a mechanic for a diagnosis.

What the hell's going on? What should I try next?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Under load, being pulling weight with a trailer, or having lots of accessories in use?

If it's load, as in weight... would be the transmission... if so, and it's an Auto, you'd need to make sure that it's on "Power" rather than "Economy"... I noticed the transmission wasn't able to cope with a heavy load and would just rev out when you put the foot on the accelerator... came good when you took it off for a few secs and placed on... ended up putting it on Power, and problem disappeared.

Under load, being pulling weight with a trailer, or having lots of accessories in use?

No - just load on the engine as in going up a hill, or starting off from the lights. anything other than idling or cruising basically.

I can't remember now if power/economy mode affects it - but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I've tried all possible different driving combinations. It's not reving out so much as misfiring really.

Cheers