Engine Warning Light - Help?

cosmichobo

G'day,

My 2000 model 4cyl auto Camry Conquest's engine light came on yesterday.

The manual enlighteningly says - "Take to a Toyota dealer".

I am planning on getting a service soon anyway (not at a Toyota dealer), but is this something that should greatly concern me in the meantime?

I did a quick search, and found one possible cause could be the fuel cap incorrectly fitted, but I've checked it and it seems ok...

Anything else I can check?

cheers

cosmic

Hi there cosmichobo,

The check engine light (CEL) could have been triggered by any one of a hundred or so causes. I don't know enough about the 2000 Camry engine to tell you how to check the cause yourself (it's quite a simple procedure however), though I'm sure someone will be more helpful! As long as your brakes etc are fine then it's not something to worry about in the short-term, just drive mindfully.

the flashing sequence of the light it usually indicative of the code its giving off. Unless the light just comes on constantly. Best to get it checked by toyota or a mechanic with the right diagnostic tool. They will check for sure what the code says, reset the ecu and then hopefully fix the problem. I wouldn't leave it very long before it was looked at if i was u.

I'd be gettin that looked at ASAP... like, within a couple of days...

Check you got all the oils and fuilds too... (even though they have their own lights).

an auto electician with an OBDII Diagnostic reader should be able to help you out... most mechanics shouldn't charge you just to connect it up (they're rippin ya big time if they do).

The light indicates the On Board Diagnostics(OBD) have registered a fault in the engine. To find out what the fault is, is to have a diagnostics tool connected and see what one of the hundreds of faults codes it is. Your best shot is to take it to a Toyota dealer and have them look at it.

The chances of finding an independant technician who has the necessary equipment is very remote as the right code reader is very Toyota specific, in Australia anyway, as OBD II, which is supposed to be a standard just isn't so. I found that out when I purchased an OBDII Code Reader from the US and I cannot get it to read any data from my Camry, or Corolla. They do work OK on the American models..

Another way, but you need to know what you are doing and have a full list of fault codes. What you do is short two pins on the ABDII connector found under the dash just to the right of the steering wheel, turn the ignition on and count the pulse sequence on the Engine Warning Light. This pulse(blink )sequence will give you the fault code. Unless you know what you are looking for and have the list of codes, forget it, take it to the dealer..

If you're lucky it may be a one off glitch or fault input which can be easily reset by the dealer service people. If it persists, you have a problem which needs to be fixed.

It may not be too serious if the system didn't throw you into "Limp mode" which basically restricts what your car will be able to do other than "limp" to a dealer.

f you can get your hands on a Gregorys/Haynes Repair Manual it will give you some very good info on the subject. The copy I have covers Camrys from 1997 tp 2001, 4 and 6 cylinder models. Most car parts retailers have them for around $40 and are very worthwhile.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I checked the fuel cap - no luck. (Oh - read that that can do it sometimes)

The mechanic I've got the f'n voucher for (and now have the car booked in to) - wants $55 to hook the OBDII reader up and get the code.

So I called my local Toyota dealer next - OldMac Springwood, (South Bris) - he said they'd need to have the car in for at least 1/2 hour to diagnose... I didn't bother asking how much their hourly rate was.

Kinda ****** frankly. The Toyota guy at least did suggest it might be the O2 sensor, which is a common reason for the light coming on, apparently.

I took my multimeter out to the car, hoping I could stick it places and get some pulsing, but couldn't even see where the OBD goes... Is it on the fuse-block? There's an empty slot there, but it's only got 2 pins on it - looks like there's meant to be a heap of pins looking at the OBDII sensor diagrams?

Considering I could buy one of these sensors for around $77 (US), I definitely feel like I'm getting ripped here!

In my last post I said you will find thr OBDII connector just under the dash to the right of the steering column. it's a 16 pin "D" connector, usually with a plastic cover with OBDII marked on it. May have to contort yourself to see it.

You WON'T read the pulses with a multimeter, an oscilloscpe will. What you need to look at is your engine warning light which will flash at a rate and sequence in accordance with the fault code(s) stored in the car's OBD computer.. To do this you will need to jumper the appropriate pins on the OBD connector, turn on the ignition(don't start the motor). The pin numders are 13 & 4. You WILL need to know what you are doing and what to look for and for that you will need some technical info and documentation...A quick check of my"Haynes" Camry manual lists, for example, around 8 fault codes for Oxygen(O2) sensors and still it may not be your fault, there are literally 100s of fault codes associated with your car's engine management system.

Otherwise you'te going to have to take it to someone who can do it for you, which I strongly recommend you do.

Edited by Topdog

G'day,

Had the Camry into the mechanic today. Results are:

OBD Error Code - P0325 - Knock Sensor #1 Malfunction.

They reset it, and said the light had not come back on. However as soon as I got in the car to drive it home - light came back on.

Looking here:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gen...malfunction.php

it first points out that this warning could lead to series engine problems... but then also basically makes it sound like it's more likely to be a sensor failure...

Any tips on doing a bit of DIY investigation before asking the mechanic to have another go?

Incidentally, I paid $97.50 for:

Oil change, oil filter, wiper refills, engine flush.

They didn't do the plugs because they didn't cover platinum plugs under their standard service, and I didn't want to pay $120 for a new set of them... (!?)

(I realise I was "ripped off" because I could have done that all myself... but I need to keep the car serviced for its 1 year car yard warranty).

The mechanic also advised that the following "should" be done:

Timing belt (197,000kms; unknown when last done) ($ not advised)

Manual transmission flush ($189)

Radiator flush/new liquid ($114)

Brake system flush ($30)

Fuel system flush ($25)

Of all of that, I'll pay for the timing belt and brakes... not the radiator and fuel though - can do them myself.

They still have my Nissan 280zx... I think they're planning to retire on the proceeds from its repairs... if only they knew I'm not paying them another cent beyond the original service fee - great to get a list of things to look at from them though.