300 series turbo issues

Nmuzz

Wonder if anyone else is having issues with sporadic wastegate operation around 220 rpm towing on incline. Toyota apparently working on reflash for computer fix but to my way of thinking unless it is every vehicle it's unlikely to be a reflash issue. 

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not resolved. Toyota now say it's a characteristic of the engine. Personally I don't think a $120k vehicle should cough, whistle and surge uphill while towing but Toyota think it's fine. Don't know how they're allowed to sell vehicles with known faults 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 8:51 PM, Steven formosa said:

I herd on the grape vine the bolts on the turbo come loose and fall out.A friend of mine had his turbo checked and one bolt missing one loose and also number six injector needed shims only had 10k

My GR is in for a 25k service and I was just told that one of the turbo bolts has fallen out and they can’t find it. They are stripping the engine down to look for it. I asked how they stop this from happening in future and he said the ‘torque process” has changed….I said what does that mean and the service clerk had no idea. If they are simply retorquing them, then I am concerned it will happen again. Does anyone know which bolts they would be referring to and whether there is a permanent fix? Can the bolts be tie wired like an aircraft to stop them from working loose? 
Also, they are claiming a rat had gotten into the air box and has eaten a hole through the plastic. They showed me and it certainly looked that way, but damn odd…Has anyone heard of this happening? $1300 for a new air box as you can’t buy the base by itself…Not my day today!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 9:22 PM, Nmuzz said:

Sorry 2200 rpm

Regarding the small dip in power and sometimes a chirp sound, Toyota have a service bulletin and software patch which rectifies this matter.  It was common but is now rectified.

Edited by IanLC300

On 1/15/2024 at 4:55 PM, Purdy said:

My GR is in for a 25k service and I was just told that one of the turbo bolts has fallen out and they can’t find it. They are stripping the engine down to look for it. I asked how they stop this from happening in future and he said the ‘torque process” has changed….I said what does that mean and the service clerk had no idea. If they are simply retorquing them, then I am concerned it will happen again. Does anyone know which bolts they would be referring to and whether there is a permanent fix? Can the bolts be tie wired like an aircraft to stop them from working loose? 
Also, they are claiming a rat had gotten into the air box and has eaten a hole through the plastic. They showed me and it certainly looked that way, but damn odd…Has anyone heard of this happening? $1300 for a new air box as you can’t buy the base by itself…Not my day today!!

Toyota have a service bulletin to inspect bolts on some year models.  This check can be done without significant component removal.  Unfortunately, if a bolt is observed to be loose it is a 6 hour job to tighten them (some say engine must be dead cold) and possibly longer if the bolt has dropped into the Vee and needs to be found. Dealer checked mine today 50k/km service and said all ok and he said that it is rare that they find a car where they are loose.  But there are some and that is why the check is being done at the service.

2 hours ago, IanLC300 said:

Regarding the small dip in power and sometimes a chirp sound, Toyota have a service bulletin and software patch which rectifies this matter.  It was common but is now rectified.

The torque dip is about 20 percent and the kw drop is around 15. Not sure its small. Ask your service mgr if the problem has actually been fixed or just quietened. If he's honest he will tell you they cant fix it just make it quieter. Ask the "lack of customer service Dept" and its a "characteristic of the engine".

The service bulletin was for a remap (detune?) of the ecu. If you dont tow much weight (our van is 3t) you may never notice it but I have attached a dyno report for our 22 model with the "latest software" that shows the AFR behaving like a 1970 govt bus and the torque and power falling off a cliff. Toyota wont comment as to the effect on the DPF but at $7266 to replace its not a happy prospect considering their argument  will be "its the way you drive". Dont be mistaken. If you own a 300 series you have this issue and this is how it looks.

Seems someone forgot to do any R&D 

OH what a reeming Toyota

Scan_20231114 (3) (4).pdf Scan_20231114 (2) (1).pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the bolts on the turbo my 300 has been in for 40k service and was told that it was missing one bolt and another's were lose. And my father's 300 was the same.mine 17k and his 23k I'm thinking this is a bigger problem than what we are getting told