New Corolla (ZRE) Owners - Opinions

I got my Sedan Conquest 6sp manual for $28,800 (which was the standard drive away price), with metallic paint, 4 head reverse sensors, window tint, headlight protectors, mongoose alarm, and floor mats (~$1600) accessories chucked in for free.

i test drove the leven zr in manual when i was at the dealer initially drives great, i wouldn't go for the auto, 4sp, you've gotta be joking, even the civic has auto in 5sp but yet toyota still put a 4sp transmission in the corolla.

the hatch is quick and nimble but i go on a fair few long trips and i like having the boot space and the interior space to take friends with me, and the weight difference between the hatch and sedan isn't all that much, there is still a lot of acceleration in the sedan especially for driving around canberra where 75% of the roads are 60kmp/h and there is a thousand speed cameras around these days.

the conquest sedan comes with a spoiler which makes it look all that much nicer compared to the other models.

graphite is an awesome colour.

Dave

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my Sedan Conquest 6sp manual for $28,800 (which was the standard drive away price), with metallic paint, 4 head reverse sensors, window tint, headlight protectors, mongoose alarm, and floor mats (~$1600) accessories chucked in for free.

i test drove the leven zr in manual when i was at the dealer initially drives great, i wouldn't go for the auto, 4sp, you've gotta be joking, even the civic has auto in 5sp but yet toyota still put a 4sp transmission in the corolla.

the hatch is quick and nimble but i go on a fair few long trips and i like having the boot space and the interior space to take friends with me, and the weight difference between the hatch and sedan isn't all that much, there is still a lot of acceleration in the sedan especially for driving around canberra where 75% of the roads are 60kmp/h and there is a thousand speed cameras around these days.

the conquest sedan comes with a spoiler which makes it look all that much nicer compared to the other models.

graphite is an awesome colour.

Dave

Oh yeh babey :yahoo:

I'd like to see the Blade with the 2.4L down here to fill that gap to take on SP23.

The Sportivo Corolla's (I include the turbo) already took care of them. SP23's are bloody nice. They're dreaming if they're as quick as us in a straight line though stock vs stock.

• 1 month later...

G'day Everyone

Got a Corolla Levin ZR 07 Hatch 6sp manual about two months ago, and I have to say that this corolla has the best feel. From the Interior Materials to the Mechanical aspect of the car, you can instantly tell Toyota's superb craftsmanship given its product offerings to its target market ($20,000 to $30,000)

Improvements from previous Generation (05) that I have noticed:

- Gearbox mechanics is top notch relative to other cars within its class

- better feel for the clutch (apparently more durable as well)

- more behaved road handling

- less road noise

- INTERIOR is awesome (especially the Optitron thingy)

- bigger interior

- better mileage (dual vvt-i) about 5 to 10% better efficiency from my fuel calculations

- better looking (in my opinion)

- all the extras of the LEVIN ZRs!:P

- Cheap to fix thus cheap to insure

- Comfy sports seats

Things I don't like about the Levin:

- ride height is quite high

- no significant product variation compared to other models (i.e. same engine, suspensions etc. mechanical aspect all the same)

- Reverse Gear is sometimes hard to engage

Overall, the car feels great. I believe the base model provides the best value. It is more spacious, has better mileage, better handling, less road noise and a big plus is the service advantage ($120 fixed for every service up to 60,000 kms or first 6 services). With this car, you can't go wrong.

Manny

G'day Everyone

Got a Corolla Levin ZR 07 Hatch 6sp manual about two months ago, and I have to say that this corolla has the best feel. From the Interior Materials to the Mechanical aspect of the car, you can instantly tell Toyota's superb craftsmanship given its product offerings to its target market ($20,000 to $30,000)

Improvements from previous Generation (05) that I have noticed:

- Gearbox mechanics is top notch relative to other cars within its class

- better feel for the clutch (apparently more durable as well)

- more behaved road handling

- less road noise

- INTERIOR is awesome (especially the Optitron thingy)

- bigger interior

- better mileage (dual vvt-i) about 5 to 10% better efficiency from my fuel calculations

- better looking (in my opinion)

- all the extras of the LEVIN ZRs!:P

- Cheap to fix thus cheap to insure

- Comfy sports seats

Things I don't like about the Levin:

- ride height is quite high

- no significant product variation compared to other models (i.e. same engine, suspensions etc. mechanical aspect all the same)

- Reverse Gear is sometimes hard to engage

Overall, the car feels great. I believe the base model provides the best value. It is more spacious, has better mileage, better handling, less road noise and a big plus is the service advantage ($120 fixed for every service up to 60,000 kms or first 6 services). With this car, you can't go wrong.

Manny

Can i ask how much you got your ZR for?

Mine was a slightly hail damaged one which was brand new (had 60km on the ODO). It was on offer for $25,000. The usual brand new price was about $31,990. We offered 24k (drive away) flat and Lander Toyota accepted. They had quite a few brand new cars with slight hail damage from the recent hail storm on offer that weekend, all probably got sold. So yes, we did get a considerable amount of discount.

If I had a choice, I would have gotten a base model or perhaps a conquest if there was no rare hail damage offer like the one we had. The Levin models are quite expensive, but the extra features are quite nice to have.

Edited by Emmanuel

Mine was a slightly hail damaged one which was brand new (had 60km on the ODO). It was on offer for $25,000. The usual brand new price was about $31,990. We offered 24k (drive away) flat and Lander Toyota accepted. They had quite a few brand new cars with slight hail damage from the recent hail storm on offer that weekend, all probably got sold. So yes, we did get a considerable amount of discount.

If I had a choice, I would have gotten a base model or perhaps a conquest if there was no rare hail damage offer like the one we had. The Levin models are quite expensive, but the extra features are quite nice to have.

Woh, thats a pretty good price. Manual Trans?

Did u get the hail fix?

Did u get the hail fix?

No not yet. It is very hard to notice because of the very light colour (Shimmer). I plan to put a sun-roof soon anyway so it should fix about 80% of the damage. The damage was very minor, so I probably will not get it fixed unless I have to.

Yes it is a stick shift.

Here are some pics!!! (sorry, about the angles, was only testing the camera at that time)

post-7334-1207578441_thumb.jpg

post-7334-1207578493_thumb.jpg

Edited by Emmanuel

Did u get the hail fix?

No not yet. It is very hard to notice because of the very light colour (Shimmer). I plan to put a sun-roof soon anyway so it should fix about 80% of the damage. The damage was very minor, so I probably will not get it fixed unless I have to.

Yes it is a stick shift.

Here are some pics!!! (sorry, about the angles, was only testing the camera at that time)

Its still a very nice score at that price.

Did u get the hail fix?

Yes it is a stick shift.

Yeah by chance we went to the right place at the right time!. Would never have bought one if it was normal price. I believe the extra costs does not justify enough the extras on the ZRs.

Did u get the hail fix?

Yes it is a stick shift.

Yeah by chance we went to the right place at the right time!. Would never have bought one if it was normal price. I believe the extra costs does not justify enough the extras on the ZRs.

Its just too pricey and out of my budget at the time i brought the car. So went for an SX. I'love to have the extras of ZR though although there are no performance gain.

Did u get the hail fix?

Yes it is a stick shift.

Its just too pricey and out of my budget at the time i brought the car. So went for an SX. I'love to have the extras of ZR though although there are no performance gain.

Absolutely. If I was to choose b/w SX and ZR, I would have picked SX simply because there is more value per dollar in it.

If only Toyota were a little bit more sympathetic:P. They could have put sports suspension, VVTi-L (High profile CAMs) etc. You know, something that will make the LEVIN really stand out. After all, the term LEVIN is suppose to be the performance trademark of the classic Corollas.

SX, ZR, Conquest, Ascent - to me its all the same. Running costs are quite low relative to other cars within the market segment; fuel, insurance, servicing, and do not forget the good resale value too. You can never go wrong with Corollas.

Manny

I'll tell you what though, instead of adding more power to my corolla though, ive been considering taking stuff out - not that i think i'd actually do it. A 1300kg hatchback is pretty darn heavy, and the lack of torque shows with the high weight. (would definately benefit from a S/C) But surely for the top end models they could use lighter seats (sportier), much lighter tyres, and use the whole tube manufacturing process for the frame. But then again, with modifications that severe, they would probably have to do it for all the models for continuity's sake, which would not happen.

I'll tell you what though, instead of adding more power to my corolla though, ive been considering taking stuff out - not that i think i'd actually do it. A 1300kg hatchback is pretty darn heavy, and the lack of torque shows with the high weight. (would definately benefit from a S/C) But surely for the top end models they could use lighter seats (sportier), much lighter tyres, and use the whole tube manufacturing process for the frame. But then again, with modifications that severe, they would probably have to do it for all the models for continuity's sake, which would not happen.

I wish Toyota would do those stuff you mentioned:P.

The Toyota Corolla line-up had always been relatively conservative and practical. I remember my friend telling me, 'this feels like a mini-lexus'. I guess the term 'sporty' will hopefully begin to materialise in the corolla line up sooner or later. But at the moment, Toyota probably feels that there is no need to (yet).

Nice Rolla Picture by the way! Quite stylish...

Manny

Strangely, you dont feel the 1300kg weight when u accel with the corolla.

Try drive an A3. Thats pretty damn heavy that it wouldnt even move between the 2000rpm

Did u get the hail fix?

Yes it is a stick shift.

Absolutely. If I was to choose b/w SX and ZR, I would have picked SX simply because there is more value per dollar in it.

If only Toyota were a little bit more sympathetic:P. They could have put sports suspension, VVTi-L (High profile CAMs) etc. You know, something that will make the LEVIN really stand out. After all, the term LEVIN is suppose to be the performance trademark of the classic Corollas.

SX, ZR, Conquest, Ascent - to me its all the same. Running costs are quite low relative to other cars within the market segment; fuel, insurance, servicing, and do not forget the good resale value too. You can never go wrong with Corollas.

Manny

somethign like the Levin ZR are only sold in japan for $22000 or something like that minus the skirts.

Look at the Blade with 3.5L v6 which kicks out 206kw. Its only $32000 equivilant.

Anything comes into aus get water down

Try drive an A3. Thats pretty damn heavy that it wouldnt even move between the 2000rpm

Yeah that is true. It takes off quite nicely, probably cuz of the new clutch and gearbox or something. But you do feel the effect of the weight during cornering quite considerably.

Yeah that is true. It takes off quite nicely, probably cuz of the new clutch and gearbox or something. But you do feel the effect of the weight during cornering quite considerably.

The signature corolla body roll. Haha. would a strut bar help?

The signature corolla body roll. Haha. would a strut bar help?

He he. Maybe the term Corolla actually is an abbreviation for 'Corner Rolla'.

The new Rollas only have torsion beams. No struts to minimize body roll.

I also drive a Ford Focus 07 Model and they have very good rear suspensions (http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible.html just before half way down the page) and fantastic front end grip. These control blade suspensions also uses less space than the conventional suspension setup and thus gives more legroom and bootroom. The car is very well behaved in corners.

On the extreme side, my friend has a Supra twin turbo (don't know which year model) which has racing suspensions which is quite f****d up. I mean you feel the bumps inside the cabin if you run over an ant!

Manny.

Did u get the hail fix?

Yes it is a stick shift.

Manny

somethign like the Levin ZR are only sold in japan for $22000 or something like that minus the skirts.

Look at the Blade with 3.5L v6 which kicks out 206kw. Its only $32000 equivilant.

Anything comes into aus get water down

'206kw......urghhhhhhh (drooling heavily)'

On the extreme side, my friend has a Supra twin turbo (don't know which year model) which has racing suspensions which is quite f****d up. I mean you feel the bumps inside the cabin if you run over an ant!

Manny.

The thing with racing suspension are they are tuned for a really hard ride for more downforce and stability in cornering. And they are use for tracks which are evenly smooth. With the aus roads. Its a hell ride.

I find that the only problem with my ZR levin auto hatch is that the dash has huge blind spots, nearly crashed once coz couldnt see car coming. and the back middle seat is small, but seeing as not many people get in my car it doesnt really worry me.

Also, the passenger seat has this weight detector thing which goes off its nut if your passenger doesnt have a seatbelt on, but generally its not a passenger its just a load of stuff sitting on my passenger seat so i have to chuck it off.

It runs pretty fast too, which suprised me coming from a 3.8L commodore, it doesnt have the same kick obviously, but it doesnt go like a little car.

Oh, and I find all the orange lights etc, really annoying sometimes. And it took me ages to learn how to turn down the brightness of the speedo.

And the boot is ok once you put ur seats down. I could fit my mountain bike in the boot but now I have sub box and amp in there so no more unless I can be bothered to unhook it :)