WYSIWYG/Wiki Style Section?

Seano

Was just reading through some suggestions and I think it might be cool to have a Wiki style section of the site which contains things like Members Ride and Workshop submissions?

I know that pages like Member's Rides can get a bit cluttered, especially if the Author doesn't update his/her original post when updating changes - same for Workshop Submissions. It would allow for more flexibility and easier presentation of information.

Although I am aware that this is a "forum" not a "wiki", but perhaps we could start a seperate linked site to host all this information. You could have something similar to Car Domain for members rides, and use a wiki format for workshop submissions and all the other little threads that appear that aren't really discussion based (like Member's Professions/How old Are You/Single Men etc).

If the mods/owners are interested that would be very cool and if you need help with hosting/development I could help out.

Although its really up to the forum.

Edited by Seano

No worries, last one I used was OpenWiki also OpenWYSIWYG is pretty good as an editor if you have any designs of building a wiki yourself. - we are currently using it in our Portal software,

Edited by Seano

Assuming the Wiki is on the same server you could probably hook into $_SESSION, and just change the OpenWiki to use whatever variable/array invision board uses.

That and you could code some wrapper functions when it comes to querying the database; so instead of using it's "out-of-the-box" database for users it uses the forum's one. It wouldn't be plug and play, and it can be pain staking re-writing someone else's code (I did it with myHelpDesk to plug into our Portal) but the finished product is well worth it because it will be customised to fit in with your purposes. That and you would probably have to theme OpenWiki to match the forum anyway. The major plus to OpenWiki is easy setup, I managed to get it working in about 20 minutes; although I'm not sure how well it'd handle large portions of data.

...Google reveals Ipb Wiki, pretty sure you would of seen this one looks like it hooks MediaWiki to Invision Power Board, not sure if thats what your after/already looked at? Only down side I can think of is it looks a bit complicated to setup (IpbWiki), and of course its not free beer :(

Guess it all comes down to how much your willing to code/fiddle around with it/pay for it in order to get it working,

If you want some help let me know, and I will donate my time to TOCAU...might even pay to be a Silver Member B)

Edited by Seano