1996 Vienta Grande

Miklos73

I am looking to purchase a 1996 Vienta Grande. It has 180,000 on the clock.

I have driven it (but haven't had a chance to go at full throttle). It's an auto, interior looks a little worn out, not too beastly and is at least complete. Power windows work in three of the windows, right rear door is the one that's stuffed. Also, it is hard to open the bonnet as one of the hinges is....would the word be broken? Finally, the paintwork on the bonnet and roof is losing it's laquer audaciously, I suppose you will get that with Burgundy paint.

She drove nicely, somewhat lacking in guts but it could have been that she was cold. I felt the steering, it felt tight and didn't feel like the steering rack was jarring loose - unlike another Vienta I had a look at.

I'm having a mechanic look at it.

The lady says she'll take $3000 for it 'as is'. And my spidey senses arent tingling yet.

What do y'all think? Should I stay far away, or can I not lose with this purchase?

Wow...what a response. :rolleyes:

I had a mechanic look at the Grande, he said it was a heap of crap...and to take $1000 off the asking price. I didn't want to do that, I don't like making offers and besides, there were too many things wrong with the car.

I have just today sold my MK4 (too cheaply) but got myself a really nice Vienta Ultima for $4300. Not too many things wrong with it, bit of a burning oil smell when I went up a hill but that dissipated quickly. *** these V6's run hot! Or is it my imagination and/or the hot weather? The temp guage read a little below half way, and it IS beautiful to drive. Doesn't seem too bad on the juice.

EDIT: Gosh, what a nanny forum! I tried to type G-O-D and it was asterixed out!

Edited by Miklos73

if it looks to worn out, dont get it. it will only give you trouble.

there is bound to be a better find elsewhere

in regrads to all the power options, i'd be concerned. more options, more things to go wrong. that said, I do like when they all work :D

regrading interiors, the leather is ok if it has been looked after very well. i have a mate with a GEN4 1MZ Grade, and the leather is a bit iffy in places. also remember that GEN3's can suffer from saggy roof lining after a while and can cost a bit to get fixed (or just diy it like me) :ph34r:

if it looks to worn out, dont get it. it will only give you trouble.

there is bound to be a better find elsewhere

in regrads to all the power options, i'd be concerned. more options, more things to go wrong. that said, I do like when they all work :D

regrading interiors, the leather is ok if it has been looked after very well. i have a mate with a GEN4 1MZ Grade, and the leather is a bit iffy in places. also remember that GEN3's can suffer from saggy roof lining after a while and can cost a bit to get fixed (or just diy it like me) :ph34r:

i used craft glue in a wavey line patten. each line of glue was about 5-7cm apart for a good solid grip.

FYI: I used black suede (spelling) fabric on the roof and it looks smick.

more FYI: if your going to take the roof out, pass it out via the front passanger and fold the front seats flat as possible. There maybe the need for some creative bending of the roof to get it out, JUST DONT SNAP IT!

otherwise, have fun

PS: if your in SYD, I can help as i've done it before