changing rear shelf speakers

Gibbo

providing you mean the grill and i think u got a gen 4, they stuck to the parcel shelf, and from memory its just melted together. but by the sounds of it u just wanna change the speakers so you.

1. pull back seat base out, just pull up from the front at about 30cms in from side.

2. take out seat back.

ummm gotta remember

3. take side rear A? frame covers (the covers from parcel shelf to roof cant think of right name)

4.unscrew child seat bolts from parcel shelf.

5. remove 3rd brake light assembly.

6. yank :P nah theres i think 3 clips holding it down, work out where they are and release them by pulling at certain points,should come off.

7. remove stock toyota speakers

NOW you have 2 options. 1. make mdf brackets or 2. drill new holes, because the toyota speakers have a 3 bolt .....system :S and normal speakers have 4

once u mount the speaker n wire it up, just reverse order to reassemble.

i think you can skip step 1 + 2 but it just makes it easier and sorry if ive forgotten anything....havent done it in a while

providing you mean the grill and i think u got a gen 4, they stuck to the parcel shelf, and from memory its just melted together. but by the sounds of it u just wanna change the speakers so you.

1. pull back seat base out, just pull up from the front at about 30cms in from side.

2. take out seat back.

ummm gotta remember

3. take side rear A? frame covers (the covers from parcel shelf to roof cant think of right name)

4.unscrew child seat bolts from parcel shelf.

5. remove 3rd brake light assembly.

6. yank :P nah theres i think 3 clips holding it down, work out where they are and release them by pulling at certain points,should come off.

7. remove stock toyota speakers

NOW you have 2 options. 1. make mdf brackets or 2. drill new holes, because the toyota speakers have a 3 bolt .....system :S and normal speakers have 4

once u mount the speaker n wire it up, just reverse order to reassemble.

i think you can skip step 1 + 2 but it just makes it easier and sorry if ive forgotten anything....havent done it in a while

Thanks, mines a 96 model gen?... ok so it is doable, car is so nice and quiet, may as well have nice sound :)

Mate,

I've done it a few times on my car (95 Touring)

- Pull back seats down

- Bolt for the side bits (dunno the name) - need a socket to take em off on both sides of the chairs. They slide upwards.

- There's a couple of screws between the back seat and the boot part (the hole between the two) - unscrew them off.

- Take off them side plastic bits that sit in the side of the boot in the hole thing... dunno how to describe it.

- If you have one of them granny brake lights that sit on the parcel shelf, unclip the unit and unbolt the light straight off the parcel shelf.

You should then be able to pull off the matting (grills for speakers included)

You'll find that Toyota used a stupid 3 bolt bracket to hold their speakers in. I ended up using them same brackets and pop riveted them back onto the new speakers. Use some padding to cover up the parts when the speaker doesn't sit flush (padded tape works fine).

Try and use the old clip-on harness that connects the speakers. Just makes it easy if you ever have to sell the car up and then connect the old harnesses back up sorta thing.

Oh yeah... make sure you get some decent speakers to go in there - the last thing you'd wanna do is have to swap em out lol. I ended up having a warranty claim on that... man that was a saga and a half :spiteful:

Mate, if you need anymore info, let us know.