2000 Echo auto tranny noise

Keisari

Hey everyone,

The missus' 2000 Echo has, for some time, been making an ominous noise. Whenever she changes out of drive to any gear 'above' drive (eg: neutral, reverse, park), there's something like a grinding noise coming from the shifter. It's not as harsh as my gearbox (which is clearly metal synchros banging together :P), but sounds a bit like when you pull the handbrake up without pushing the button (click-click-click-click-click x10 and very fast).

The car's got 150,000km and she has this nasty habit of sticking it in neutral whenever she brakes. On occasion she'll forget to put it back in drive, only putting it back in when the engine's clearly revving freely.

It gets all the scheduled servicing and it seems that Toyota hasn't mentioned it in the history. So I'm wondering if this is a 'normal' feature of auto gearboxes??

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

The missus' 2000 Echo has, for some time, been making an ominous noise. Whenever she changes out of drive to any gear 'above' drive (eg: neutral, reverse, park), there's something like a grinding noise coming from the shifter. It's not as harsh as my gearbox (which is clearly metal synchros banging together :P), but sounds a bit like when you pull the handbrake up without pushing the button (click-click-click-click-click x10 and very fast).

The car's got 150,000km and she has this nasty habit of sticking it in neutral whenever she brakes. On occasion she'll forget to put it back in drive, only putting it back in when the engine's clearly revving freely.

It gets all the scheduled servicing and it seems that Toyota hasn't mentioned it in the history. So I'm wondering if this is a 'normal' feature of auto gearboxes??