toyota import vans

i have had 2 models of these vans...a 1989 and currently i own/drive a 1991 model. both have the toyota 2c-t turbo diesel engine. i have rebuilt this engine and yes you can get engine parts direct from toyota...but don't tell them what its in...they shy away from you when you mention that "dirty word" (import) to them.

anyways...stay tuned...theres more to come and it would be great to hear from any others who have experience on these vans

cheers

• 1 month later...
i have had 2 models of these vans...a 1989 and currently i own/drive a 1991 model. both have the toyota 2c-t turbo diesel engine. i have rebuilt this engine and yes you can get engine parts direct from toyota...but don't tell them what its in...they shy away from you when you mention that "dirty word" (import) to them.

anyways...stay tuned...theres more to come and it would be great to hear from any others who have experience on these vans

cheers

Hello,

I have joined hoping to help my son with his 92 Super Town Ace. We have just discovered the crankshaft is screwed thanks to the harmonic balancer retaining bolt working loose(Diesel ET-2CT). We have two options both require the engine removal; option one buy a complete good used engine; option two buy a crank and rebuild the engine. I'm thinking the first option may be the easiest on the pocket and also for downtime. Can you assist with rebuild advice particularly when dealing with Toyota for part numbers.

Thanks

Laurie

i would suggest to rebuild what you already have and replace whatever parts are required. i was going to buy a used engine myself as well until i realized that i could in fact be buying something that was more than likely going to die in 6 months then i would be spending up all over again. not to mention the condition of the turbo...these particular turbos don't like being run out of oil(suddenly stopping the engine after a long drive etc)

these engines need their timing belt replaced at 100 000km. this is mandatory as they only last till about 110 000km. and yes timing belts are easily available aftermarket for around $50

the injectors will need cleaning and resetting..i got mine done for $60 each.

i rebuilt my own engine as i then knew what parts were inside and i knew the internal condition of the engine also...basically a brand new zero km engine!!!.

is this engine an electronic 2c-t engine???...have a look on the top of the injector pump.....is there 2 large black electrical connectors??.if there is then it's possibly an electronic engine. this is of no matter as the engine internals are still basically the same...i'm just wondering where the "ET" comes from in "ET-2CT"

when i removed my engine from the van i pulled it up out of its mounts and left the gearbox behind. this required me to remove the cylinder head and radiator first.....it worked out well as i needed to get both the head and radiator serviced anyways. when removing the head while the engine is still in place you won't be able to remove the very last 2 head bolts at the back of the engine....i just used a thick rubber band to hold them while i removed the head.

hope this helps

cheers

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi there,

We are loking for uni-joints for 90 Townace, anybody know details for parts avail in Aus? <_<

Cheers, Krystal

hi there try your local toyota dealer they have been helpful with my 96 supercustom parts that i required

cheers

dave