Engine Immobiliser

Hi, I was looking at Redbook for my Aurion, and under features it says Engine Immobiliser. What does this do and how can I actually use it on my Aurion? From what I understand it shuts down the engine? But how does it work?

The only buttons on my remote is unlock, lock, alarm, and boot release.

Expanding on what I have mentioned here:

The Aurion does come standard with alarm and immobiliser. The immobiliser becomes active the moment you key is removed from the ignition, and your alarm becomes active once you press either the lock button on the remote or manually lock your car with the key.

The immobiliser simply cuts the ignition and fuel injection whenever the your key is removed from the ignition tumbler. Inside your keys are a transponder chip. When a key that has not been added into the ECU is inserted, the car will not be able to be started. This is why when you get a new key cut, you need to firstly buy the right key, then have it added into the ECU.

As per page 16 of the owners manual:

Engine immobiliser system

The engine immobiliser system is a theft prevention system that uses an electronic code. An electronic chip in the key contains an electronic code that is transmitted to the vehicle. Only when the electronic code in the chip corresponds to the vehicle's registered code will the immobiliser system be cancelled allowing the engine to start.

The engine immobiliser system is automatically set when:

- Vehicles with standard-type ignition switch--The key is removed from the ignition switch

- Vehicles with smart entry and start system--The ENGINE START STOP button (ignition switch) is pressed off.

The indicator light will start flashing to show that the system is set.

Oh right, perfect answer, thanks heaps. I thought it was some sort of thing that if someone drives off with your car you can shut down the engine. :rolleyes:

Those are advanced systems. Most immobilisers prevent the car from starting altogether, or allow the engine to run for a few seconds before cutting the engine. It would just be too dangerous to allow the car to drive before shutting off the engine. What you are referring to is an anti-hijack system which is a completely different dedicated system. These systems disrupt the operation of the engine but allows it to run just enough so that the car will come to a stop in a more 'controlled' manner.

Similar discussion in relation to the Smart Entry system can also be found in the following thread:

About the smart key

Hi guys, here is a silly question: After you started your car with push button start, what if you carry the smart key out of the detection range (i.e. >1m) away from the car, will the engine automatically shut itself? and if you do this will it damage your engine?

Cause sometimes you might need to quickly pick up something from outside and don't want to restart the engine within say 30 secs.

Thanks in advance guys!

... if you go out of range while the engine is running, the engine will still continue to run and it will just keep chiming and showing the "KEY IS NOT DETECTED" message on the dash. If the engine is stopped though using the Start/Stop button, it can not be started up again until the key is brought back in range.

Edited by glm

This is why when you get a new key cut, you need to firstly buy the right key, then have it added into the ECU.

So you mean you can't go to the keycutting shop in the shopping centre and ask them to cut a key? Not even to open the doors?

• 14 years later...

Gday guys I have 2012 Toyota aurion  , for some reason the key reader is not reading the key , so car cranks but will not start , I have checked all fuses but havnt checked relays . Does anyone know why this out of know where would occur ?

Hi Chris, I would suggest getting a code scan as well mate as it could be something locking out the security starting process, and it may make tracking it down faster for you maybe worth the fee for a mobile mechanic who can do that for you as I doubt it will be a fuse or relay causing it sounds,like something in the security side of the process.

I am sure if any others have ideas they will post it, these are just guesses on my part so I hope you get it sorted fast mate

KAA