High beam problem!

azza1

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can help out....my hilux is having high beam issues, what happens is when i push the lever forward to activate high beam there is nothing, low beam cuts out but no high beam, just darkness but the high beam indicator light shows up on the dash. When i pull the lever back to flash high beam they work fine though. This problem started intermittently but now is doing it constantly so no high beam at all unless i hold the lever back (which is difficult to do on winding roads lol). I have checked fuses and relay and all are ok and have pulled apart the stalk assembly to check the switch itself and it seems ok and as the dash light is showing i presume it has to be working correct. Have also recently converted the sealed beam units to new h4 style so globes are new but problem existed before i did this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even a starting point or things to try as it is getting very annoying.

Thanks in advance.

Probably find the problem is in the actual side flicky thing you use to turn it on :D I'm sure a toyota dealer could easily help you with it.

I've pulled the "flicky thing" apart and checked that all is ok and it activates the high beam light on the dash which tells me that it is working from my understanding. If it was a newer vehicle I would take it to the dealer but being an 89 hilux I cant justify spending the money a dealer would charge to find the problem. Im trying to get out of it costing me money but if it comes to the crunch I may have to see an auto electrician for advice.

Something that seems to be common in older cars is a problem with the steering column dimmer switch being excessively used for 'flashing'. Most people use this to warn other drivers of radars etc.(naughty naughty). My Celica is suffering with a similar thing. Hmmmmmmmm Inside the switch mechanism the metal contacts get bent from pulling the lever too hard too often and will not make contact with the circuit for the HI beam. Like you have said if you take it to a older auto electrician most of them will be familiar with the problem and should be able to repair yours for a lot less than buying a new switch assembly.

I may be able to get you a switch for a wholesale price if it is needed. We have a supplier in Brisbane who will sell to me for less than half retail price. I will ask tomorrow and PM you a price.

Regards

Something that seems to be common in older cars is a problem with the steering column dimmer switch being excessively used for 'flashing'. Most people use this to warn other drivers of radars etc.(naughty naughty). My Celica is suffering with a similar thing. Hmmmmmmmm Inside the switch mechanism the metal contacts get bent from pulling the lever too hard too often and will not make contact with the circuit for the HI beam. Like you have said if you take it to a older auto electrician most of them will be familiar with the problem and should be able to repair yours for a lot less than buying a new switch assembly.

I may be able to get you a switch for a wholesale price if it is needed. We have a supplier in Brisbane who will sell to me for less than half retail price. I will ask tomorrow and PM you a price.

Regards

Thanks for the reply and offer vey, if i need a new switch I will get back to you as it might be cheaper than I can source locally myself.

I was off sick most the week. I called a few guys on Wednesday but came up dry. The company I spoke about no longer does them but I'll ask some other suppliers as I speak to them. There has to be someone who does a good one.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 years later...