Posted (edited)

My new Monkeywrench Racing Oil pump came in the mail last week ago, which had been shipped from RideRound.nl in the Netherlands. Does anyone know anything about Monkeywrench Racing? Do you all think I made a good choice buying this aftermarket oil pump? I ordered it to to upgrade from the stock OEM one which is vulnerable to disintegration. The aftermarket one is meant to be bulletproof because it is made from some type of so-called '4340 steel'. 

IMG_4266.thumb.JPG.c1ad60394e035f5e12b2038446106cd3.JPG

Edited by Angrysubie64

MWR are a reasonably respected name in the aftermarket 2ZZ business, they're not the cheapest (especially with shipping) but the products are usually solid.  In this case though it is only the oil pump gear itself which is upgraded (as that was the issue with the stock ones), the housing is new/refurbed OEM Toyota/Aisin.

FYI 4340 is the grade used, it's a high-tensile chrome-moly steel.  I believe the stock ones are sintered (ie powdered steel pressed in to shape at high pressure/temperature), which contributes to their propensity to shattering (although I think it is much rarer than people are lead to believe, and usually as a result of over-revving via mis-shifting)

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hiro said:

MWR are a reasonably respected name in the aftermarket 2ZZ business, they're not the cheapest (especially with shipping) but the products are usually solid.  In this case though it is only the oil pump gear itself which is upgraded (as that was the issue with the stock ones), the housing is new/refurbed OEM Toyota/Aisin.

FYI 4340 is the grade used, it's a high-tensile chrome-moly steel.  I believe the stock ones are sintered (ie powdered steel pressed in to shape at high pressure/temperature), which contributes to their propensity to shattering (although I think it is much rarer than people are lead to believe, and usually as a result of over-revving via mis-shifting)

Thanks for your response, I’m just hoping and praying that the oil pump will withstand the over-revving which is why I purchased the product. Also, I know very well about the flaws of the 2ZZ in regards to the oil pump and oil sump.