Speakers

-ALFI-

I’m currently collecting info and prices on my audio system prior to purchasing, I’m hoping to have it all in within the next few weeks, but I’m hearing different things from different car audio shops. I went to Strathfield first and put a package together for $1600 installed consisting of a Kenwood DPX-mp3110 head unit, JBL speakers and splits, Kenwood 4ch amp, Sony woofa in box and steering wheel audio control adapter. A different car audio shop told me to avoid all the mainstream car audio brands (Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, etc) in favour for Euro brands like Focal, all in the name of better sound quality. A similar spec package (same HU) from this shop would cost around $2000 installed.

I know they will always push the brands they stock, but would Euro branded speakers really be that much better? Is it worth the extra cost?

why not go listen to them on the test board and see what you like better? you'd only want to worry about the brand if your spending about $6,000 + but $2,000 should get you a decent system. Have you tried JB yet? <-- because the more you buy, the more you save! Where abouts in Melbourne are you located? Maybe we could meet up and i give you a hand?

why not go listen to them on the test board and see what you like better? you'd only want to worry about the brand if your spending about $6,000 + but $2,000 should get you a decent system. Have you tried JB yet? <-- because the more you buy, the more you save! Where abouts in Melbourne are you located? Maybe we could meet up and i give you a hand?

Yea I did have a listen to the demos, but in the shop they all sound pretty good, will sound different in my car. I'm just wondering if the sales dude was just feeding me krap about euros been so much better just to make a sale, or if he had a good point. They dont sound all that different to me so I'll probably get the mainstream brands from Strathfield. The 6" JBL speakers sounded good and are a reasonable price.

Do Sony make a good sub? The new model looks great and has the numbers, but its cheap, maybe too cheap. 12 inch 1300W for $150 at Strathies if my memory serves me right. Sounds like a bargan.

hi guys :)

i would recommend getting mtx or jbl stuff if you planning to spend 1600. and i dont think you should get kenwood headunit! their sound quality sounds ****.

if your looking for amps go with the jbl gto's, and the gto spits not bad

hope this helps you with your choice

hey there mate,

i was in the same position when i was young as a strapped for cash for a sound system for my old car.

i found the most value for money brand would be blaupunkt, just in my opinion tho.

i got a pair of splits (overdrive) however they will be called velocity now

6 inch rears sub and a 5 channel amp to run everything for about 1200. sounded awesome

then went and bought an sq headunit which meant i spent around 1700 all up.

i think the idea is all about matching your speakers with the right amps when you have roughly that amount of money to play with.

and as for euro speakers, i am a strong believer in them. i rekkon they sound way better! but i am pretty biased tho

Hi there

I have focals in my corolla and they are brilliant speakers.

Focal make house speakers as well costing up to 100grand.

Ive been told they r the same speakers used as in the home ones only diff crossovers to suit a car

By the way i would not go to strathfield for an install, two of my mates had to go back for silly mistakes they made. As did my dad whose headunit wasnt even screwed in properly.

MB quart r very good as well, warmer sounding to the focals

Those are the two brands i would look at