HELP Newbie convert to lpg? 2000 Toyota campry v6

sedat2008

Hi All,

This is my very first post in this forum :)

I haved a 2000 model toyota camry conquest v6 with approx 205,000 km, since fuel just keeps on going up & up l am considering converting my car to lpg. Based on some research throughout the internet & car newspapers the recommended type of gas equipment popular for the camry v6 is the IMPCO kit. Just wandering if anyone from his forum has the IMPCO kit installed.

Can anyone please provide any info regarding the advantages & disavantages having LPG gas & any problems when converting to LPG gas.

Speaking with few friends who are mechanics saying that it's not worth converting to gas due to using more gas/km & problem such as backfires, possible reduction in engine life etc.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sedat

DON'T DO IT unless you are strapped for cash.

Unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands, DON'T. Fuel prices are nothing in comparison to the headache you will have.

I had mine converted to Gas last september. It went back to the LPG mechanic an average of 2 times a month till March. Eventually, I have just given up. It still shakes at idle. You save money on Gas, no question about it, but here are the drawbacks:

1) You waste a lot of time and money going back to the mechanic repeatedly

2) Your savings are not that significant - Net savings are 10%-20% based on lpg being roughly 40% the cost of petrol due to extra maintainence

3) Short trips hurt your engine more than on petrol

4) You have more things to remember - you need to keep switching your car to petrol once every week if you keep the fuel tank.

5) you loose the bootspace

6) your car will NOT run as smoothly - don't let them tell you otherwise, it doesn't.

7) Parts under the hood are under more stress, weird pings and rattles will start happening from your car.

This is the negatives based on my personal experience. I still don't regret the decission though, I am saving about 17% on what I would have paid for fuel, and my time is not that expensive. You have to keep in mind the following though:

My car is a 94 - yours is 6 years newer

Your time may be worth a lot more. If you get paid somethig like 35 an hour, having to take the car to the mechanic even once extra could mean $70, and that would be virtually 2 months of savings down the drain, and annoyances on top of that.

I HATE rattles. You may not care if your car makes a little more noise

I have a 4cyl, you feel the roughness of the idle a lot more than you would in a v6.

Seems like you have done a lot more research about your system as well, I just went to the first guy who had an appointment. You might not have any problems what so ever. Whatever way you decide, I hope my post has given you something to think about.

Hi All,

This is my very first post in this forum :)

I haved a 2000 model toyota camry conquest v6 with approx 205,000 km, since fuel just keeps on going up & up l am considering converting my car to lpg. Based on some research throughout the internet & car newspapers the recommended type of gas equipment popular for the camry v6 is the IMPCO kit. Just wandering if anyone from his forum has the IMPCO kit installed.

Can anyone please provide any info regarding the advantages & disavantages having LPG gas & any problems when converting to LPG gas.

Speaking with few friends who are mechanics saying that it's not worth converting to gas due to using more gas/km & problem such as backfires, possible reduction in engine life etc.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sedat

94camrycsi, may i know when did u get this conversion done and by which company?

coz i heard that new conversion system doesnt create so much problem/issues any more.. not sure if this is true, but just like to know more about it..

Saw an ex govt camry V6 on gas at Fowles Mannheim-Fowles Auction today. It was a June 05 build with a july o5 Apollo gas conversion plate on it ie from new. The handbook had a supplementary handbook giving some additional hints for gas but certainly saying the warranty IS retained. The way the handbook was printed it appeared to be a Toyota sanctioned/authorised conversion. It was certainly neat under the bonnet but there was no key to start the car and check out its operation.Would be very interested to have feedback from someone who has first hand experience of such a conversion or the economics longivity and drivability of converting the V6 to gas generally.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies

I am still quite undecided, as l have spoken to a few mechanics and ALL recommended NOT to convert to LPG.

Reasons-

1. Gas usage is almost half than petrol

2. Gas is more harsh (drier) on the motor even with flash lube- reduced engine life leads to cracked head cost of second hand head for a V6 $1500-$2000 including labour.

3. Extra service for gas is $216 per year on top of normal service costs.

Has anyone with a 1998 to 2002 Toyota Camry v6 convert their car to LPG gas?

Please anyone with a converted v6 with any comments thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sedat <_<

• 6 months later...

I's still working out my own answer to the same question, to gas or not to with my V6 Camry. I don't want the cost of replacing two cylinder heads. They must be terrible conversions if the car uses nearly twice as much fuel as on petrol. Quality conversions are the way to go. I've used GasResearch for many years because I know they do not run lean at high revs which does nothing for performance or engine longevity. I converted our Celica nearly two years ago, and despite the cooling system being in good order, I ended up with a cracked head. I do wonder if some of the damage may have started before I bought the car as the only fault my mechanic found in it was cracking in the upper radiator tank. I replaced this but the damage may have been underway before this. I also live at the top of one of Melbourne's steepest hills. Much as I value air conditioning, I've decided to switch it off and rely on air movement only when I drive up the mountain. I value my cylinder head more than I value the comfort of the cooled air. I'd definitely use the Flash Lube to protect the valves since my installer himself recommends it and I'd dynotune to minimise loss of power. If the job is properly done, there really shouldn't be any, or none that is discernable by the driver. I think a lot of damage has been done to gas by poor installations. I really don't understand the poor image it seems to have. This is a high octane fuel around 110 I think which makes it better than any petrol I'm aware of unless you have acces to aviation fuel. I notice straight propane is available at a number of Melbourne outlets which I think would improve both power and economy. If taxis can save a heap on fuel costs without blowing up their engines, I imagine that the rest of us can and that the problems people have can be avoided if we know the possible mistakes. I've run a 1970 Mazda 1800 on straight gas for over 11 years and covered over 300,000 kms in it. Yes I lost a cylinder head a long time ago, but I think this was due to over zealous metal remova in one of the ports when the engine was being built because I've had no further trouble. A lot of conversions are being sold on the basis of a tiny cost after getting the Commonwealth subsidy. They may be excellent conversions, but it worries me a bit that they are being sold on price, because the best conversions cost quite a bit. But I think many people in outer suburbs need gas since they are more likely to be clocking up high mileages.