Installing a tacho on my '99 model Hilux Dual cab 4x2

Ben^

Gday fella's

I'm 17 i've jsut gotten my first car a '99 model dual cab 2 wheel drive hilux.. I'm pretty handy when it comes to wiring in things, i've done speakers, head decks, neons, underbody LED's, Spotties when i get the money lol but i dont really kno anything about engines lol..

The '99 dual cabs dont have a tacho on the dash so i cant tap off that wire

I've been reading up on installing a tacho so far i kno theres a

Power wire - connect to power wire then key is in ignition

Earth wire

Light/Illumination wire - connect to headlights

Tach wire - Connect to coils or alernator or something lol

I've read so far that the wire could possible be hooked up and sitting behind the dash just not plugged in, and that its a brown wire or brown wire with red stripe and that it will increase its volts with acceleration..

I dont see why this wire would be hooked up and just left behind the dash, so where abouts is the alernator or coils in the engine and what does it look like and where would the wire be coming out of it from lol..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

And sry for long explanation, Thanks Guys

-Ben

Gday fella's

I'm 17 i've jsut gotten my first car a '99 model dual cab 2 wheel drive hilux.. I'm pretty handy when it comes to wiring in things, i've done speakers, head decks, neons, underbody LED's, Spotties when i get the money lol but i dont really kno anything about engines lol..

The '99 dual cabs dont have a tacho on the dash so i cant tap off that wire

I've been reading up on installing a tacho so far i kno theres a

Power wire - connect to power wire then key is in ignition

Earth wire

Light/Illumination wire - connect to headlights

Tach wire - Connect to coils or alernator or something lol

I've read so far that the wire could possible be hooked up and sitting behind the dash just not plugged in, and that its a brown wire or brown wire with red stripe and that it will increase its volts with acceleration..

I dont see why this wire would be hooked up and just left behind the dash, so where abouts is the alernator or coils in the engine and what does it look like and where would the wire be coming out of it from lol..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

And sry for long explanation, Thanks Guys

-Ben

hook it straight into the coil packs if its efi and dizzy if its non efi best bet would be to get a manual and look at colours cause they change in year models etc or go to an auto lecky and ask them

..Completely unrelated.. Do you know how i could hook up my spotties?? I have the 4x4 91 model and im mounting em up the top.. Wheres the best place to run the wire? And where does it all plug into?

hook up ya spotties the same as u do on the bullbar mate and run ya wiring down the tray then into the bung in the bac of the cab on the drivers side or along the chassis rail into the engine bay then the rest is the same

Haha i took the ones off the front cause they werent wired up wen i bought it.... There is a switch in the cab that i can use... But still hav no idea where to plug everything in to... Once i get the ones up top wired in ill put the other ones on the same switch if thats possible...

to wire up a tacho isnt difficult.

the green wire on the tacho must go to the negative side of the coil (if your engine is a carby model) or if it is efi then consult the owners manual (you have one right??) and find the tacho trigger connector inside the diagnostics plug under the bonnet.

spotlights arent difficult either.

firstly find the high beam wire in the headlight closest to the battery...this will make it easier to wire up a relay.

next find a secure place to fit your relay (you need this to switch the high current your spotlights need)

then run your wiring from your spotlights down to the relay...make sure you use twin 6mm diametre cable for this as anything less will cause problems later on like constantly blowing bulbs.

look on the bottom of the relay (or on the side) you will find 4 numbers. those being 85/86/30/87

85 and 86 are the trigger coil

30 and 87 are the contacts

85........earth this to the chassis (or negative terminal on your battery)

86........this goes to the trigger wire from your headlight high beam via the switch you have inside.

30........this goes to the positive terminal on your battery via a 20amp fuse. (the fuse is a MUST)

typically most 12v 100 watt spotlight bulbs draw about 8.2 amps

87........this goes to your spotlights

using a twin core cable makes the wiring job easier as you have a way of earthing your spotlights back to the battery. the positive or red coloured cable goes to the pigtail or terminal of the spotlight bulb (whichever you have) and the negative or black wire goes to the earth terminal on the housing where the spotlight bulb fits. the other end of the black cable goes to the negative side of your battery.

hope this helps

cheers

Ive got a switch in the cab that i wanna hook em up 2.... How do i go about running the switch through the relay and the battery and all that??

Also... The spotties came with 1 pissy bit of wire... Do i run 2 wires from each spottie to the relay or what?

Mite have to get someone to do it.. I havent got a clue LMAO!

easy mate instead of earthing 85 to chassis put it on the switch then done to earth from other side of switch. u wont be able to hook all spotties into the one switch cause of the amps it draws u can get away with one switch runnin 4 100 watt lights but thats max

have a look in the wiring help topic thats a few threads down i cant figure out how to copy the link for ya but i put a wiring diagram in there a while ago for spotties

Edited by v8toy