pcv valve replace

Keisari

I want to replace the PCV valve on a 1991 celica 5sfe, but I'm not exactly sure what it looks like or how to get it out. I'm guessing it's on the end of the PCV hose going to the top of the engine block, but do I need to remove the valve cover to get to it?

Any help appreciated.

Ok, so I whipped the breather hose off and there's two metal connectors - one on the engine block and one on the intake, neither of which seem to be removable. Do I need to take some pliers to it or something? Perhaps I'm not even looking at the right thing.

Alrighty, I had a look but couldn't see anything like that. Perhaps mine just doesn't have a PCV? I took some pics:

5sfe_TB1.jpg

Wide shot

100_1147.jpg

Area around throttle opener. There's a big metal thing where the PCV in your picture seems to be?

100_1148.jpg

The breather hose is clearly visible here. Maybe that's all it has?

I've been having a problem with ****house acceleration and there's a little sludge buildup. If I open the throttle between ~20-70% around 2000-4000RPM it hesitates and jumps. Also, it goes into a self-energising pulsation when I release the throttle too quickly, accelerate briefly or the revs are too low (ESPECIALLY if the revs are too low, about 2500 or so). Diving straight into neutral prevents it. I've replaced the spark plugs, wires, dizzy rotor & cap, battery, fuel filter, checked the coil, and there's no diagnostic codes, so I thought that replacing the PCV valve would rule out something cheap (and I can't find it in the service history, so I thought what the heck. I suppose not having one would explain why :P). The brakes aren't rubbing the rotors either. Toyota reckon that the jumpiness can be explained by the fact that somebody broke my EGR vacuum switching assembly, so I've ordered one in to replace it. After this I'll replace the vacuum modulator, I hear the ones in this vintage tend to go bad and cause the characteristic 2000-4000RPM hesitating. After that, I'm at a loss. Clogged injectors maybe?