How to adjust the steering colmun on 2005 Toyota Corolla?

Dear All,

Please help....I recently purchased this car and yesterday while driving the adjustable steering wheel became unlocked on its own. I was driving it and the wheel moved from top position to a lower position.

Can anyone tell me how to lock it back into the high position, at present it will move if I try to move it up or down. Was a little disturbing while driving yestersday!

Thankyou, Sandra :help:

Edited by Sandra

Hey there,

Seems you have the adjustable steering column unlocked which is very dangerous, should ALWAYS be locked.

To lock, there is a small lever that is in line with the steering wheel underneath the steering wheel column, locate this lever and pull it up towards/ closer to the steering wheel column. This should now lock the adjustable steering column, and steering wheel should not move up and down.

Evo

Hi Sandra,

There is a lever under the steering column that you need to pull down (its huge, you wont miss it). Whilst the lever is down, you can adjust the column up or down. Once you have it in the desired spot, just pull the lever back up till its snug under the column (you will feel it click in).

Hope this helps. And welcome btw.

JC

Thanks for the suggestion, will go home tonight and take a look...!

Hey there,

Seems you have the adjustable steering column unlocked which is very dangerous, should ALWAYS be locked.

To lock, there is a small lever that is in line with the steering wheel underneath the steering wheel column, locate this lever and pull it up towards/ closer to the steering wheel column. This should now lock the adjustable steering column, and steering wheel should not move up and down.

Evo

I did have a feel under column and couldn't feel anything but will take another look tonight.... thanks for the advice!

Hi Sandra,

There is a lever under the steering column that you need to pull down (its huge, you wont miss it). Whilst the lever is down, you can adjust the column up or down. Once you have it in the desired spot, just pull the lever back up till its snug under the column (you will feel it click in).

Hope this helps. And welcome btw.

JC

If you get really stuck it should be mentioned somewhere in the manual with a picture or two explaining where to find it.

JC

That's part of the problem, don't have a manual, one is order and on way from Toyota but for now have to rely on asking people things...... I can only think that prior to me buying car (2 weeks ago) that the prvious owner had adjusted the column and not clicked the lever back in its place correctly, as I haven't tried to adjust it as didn't know how to.... Surely can't be anything more serious than finding lever and locking back into place, can it?

Sandra