new speakers in my wagon

greg05rolla

oh wow. ummm. well i have done it, for my pioneers, but mines an 03 and doesnt have electric windows. so will be a bit different.

GOOD NEWS; dont need to cut up ur interior. basically theres a screw hidden behind a cap in the door handle, thatll need to be removed. (theres a bit of a process to removing the window winding arm but i presume that doesnt apply here). and the interior trim of the door is secured to the tin of the door by about 5 or 6 plastic like plugs, which just need a bit of a >gentle< tug to come off. but dont cut up your door. theres definately no need for that.

BAD NEWS; the speaker and plastic mounting to the door is one component, so if you want to replace the speaker, ur gonna have to talk to toyota. if you want to put an aftermarket speaker in there, u can buy one and bolt it onto the door. but for better sound quality i wouldnt short cut and put some painted wood/mdf inbetween ur new aftermarket speaker and the tin of the door.

speakers i used were 6" or 16cm.

hope this helps.

p.s. check it is the speaker thats at fault, not the amp in head unit

Edited by JG24688

My wagon is a 03 with electric windows so just pull off door trim. Had to break stock speakers to get them out. I used 6'' clarions, some of the holes didnt line up, so i had to drill my own. Make sure you put some sound proofing around the new speakers. I didnt do it to mine but i wish i did, still sounds good but it can definantly sound better with sound proofing material or paint on tar.

Post up some pics of your wagon too dude.

SQU47N

if it is anything like the 05 normal corolla or sportivo with power windows...

Front doors

1. Remove small plastic clip behind door handle, there is a screw behind it, undo that phillips head screw.

2. Lift up plastic above other door handle (the part you pull to shut door). If you look at it carefully, there are 2 pieces which form that door handle. The top half, your supposed to pull up, it is held on by clips.

3. You'll see to more phillips head screws once you life up plastic part in step 2. Remove them.

4. Now lift up Power windows switch, slide in a flathead screwdriver and gently Pry it up. And undo the wiring harness

5. Gently Pull off door trim from the sides. They are all clips, once u reach the top lift up near window and it should all come off.

Ye good news is both front and back factory speakers come off with a bit of force, Toyota used some uber hard rubber glue. Fronts are 6.5" and rears are 5.25". I fit 6.5" Focal Splits in factory plastic housing in the fronts and the rears i put in 6" speakers, but made my own MDF spacers. to remove rear plastic speaker brackets, they are pop rivvetted onto the door, you will have to drill them out.

Hope that helps man.

And if that didnt make sense, heres a pic of the rear door off while i was sound deadening it. You can see the factory speakers and plastic mount.

14072007048qr4.jpg

cheers guys!!!!!! yeh pics will be going up soon, gotta give it a wash and then im going to take some before and after shots after i do a little to it!! i think im going to replace all the speakers 1st, couple of 6 inches in the back and splits in the front, then slowly put all the other gear in as i get more $$$ haha..not electric windows unfortunately. cant wait till its finished!!

also!!! what would be the best material to use to place between the door and the speaker and what is the best way to fix it to the door? ive used a sponge/foam in my last car and that was ok but not great.

Edited by greg05rolla

oooook ive just purchased my pioneer head unit with bluetooth and all that jazz. might purchase my speakers this weekend too! for the 5.25" in the back, what brands have people replaced them with?

Edited by greg05rolla

• 1 month later...