200 series noisey turbo diesel

Poppa Dick

Hi

My 200 series Sahara turbo diesel makes a knocking noise when I first drive it when cold. It has done 23,000 km and is burning a similar amount of oil to that reported by others.

It occurs for about the first km or 2 and then it goes away.

While driving it sounds to me like when a vehicle has noisey tappets however my neighbour heard it as I drove past him and he said it sounded like big end noise.

It has done it since new. It makes no difference if I let it idle for 10 to 15 minutes before driving. Otherwise it is good with no other problems other than the driveshaft noise which they rectified.

My dealer acknowledges that it is occuring and his comment is that it is common with others and I need not worry!

Any thoughts?

Hi

My 200 series Sahara turbo diesel makes a knocking noise when I first drive it when cold. It has done 23,000 km and is burning a similar amount of oil to that reported by others.

It occurs for about the first km or 2 and then it goes away.

While driving it sounds to me like when a vehicle has noisey tappets however my neighbour heard it as I drove past him and he said it sounded like big end noise.

It has done it since new. It makes no difference if I let it idle for 10 to 15 minutes before driving. Otherwise it is good with no other problems other than the driveshaft noise which they rectified.

My dealer acknowledges that it is occuring and his comment is that it is common with others and I need not worry!

Any thoughts?

Good day Poppa.

We definatley don't have a knock when cold. It is a little louder, but no knock.

We started using around 1 liter / 5,000 kms when new, and now with 39,000 kms on the clock, it is down to 1 liter /10,000 kms.

What I would do is go in and listen to another 200 at the dealer first thing in the morning.

If this satisfies you then OK, if not then leave your vehicle at the dealer overnight and do a comparison next morning with another 200.

TCO.

Edited by TCO

Mate

Most diesels will knock abit when there cold or they may appear to be a little louder than normal. This is quite normal and due to the engine being cold. You may also notice a knock when the engine is under heavy acceleration.

Just thinking, maybe knock isnt the right term, 'rattley' may be a better term.

In my honest opinion, dont worry unless you notice a lack of power.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ConeHead

• 5 months later...

HEY GUYS, i understand diesel rattle but knocking !?. looks to me big ends again a new motor has bugs this is one and its not the first time i have heard this. god i have just ordered my new workmate troopie v8. fingers are crossed.iI had two 80 LC both turbos and the bigends went in them had them fixed no problems, then my 95 crusier blew up at 137.480klms on the clock. i serviced these units every 5000 klm never missed a service. so this has me hoping that these new motors v8 dont do the same i will be very upset and im sure a lot of other blokes will be too. goodluck guys but please get up the dealers and tell em to fix it asap. remember its always ok to them they dont have to drive them everyday..

HEY GUYS, i understand diesel rattle but knocking !?. looks to me big ends again a new motor has bugs this is one and its not the first time i have heard this. god i have just ordered my new workmate troopie v8. fingers are crossed.iI had two 80 LC both turbos and the bigends went in them had them fixed no problems, then my 95 crusier blew up at 137.480klms on the clock. i serviced these units every 5000 klm never missed a service. so this has me hoping that these new motors v8 dont do the same i will be very upset and im sure a lot of other blokes will be too. goodluck guys but please get up the dealers and tell em to fix it asap. remember its always ok to them they dont have to drive them everyday..

Very big call to say this. I have never heard of the 200 or the singhle turbo V8) having this issue. So where else have you heard that the 'bigend' is playing up in the V8 Diesel. If im not mistaken, the V8 diesel has been in the 70 (workmate) series from late 06 and this is the first I have heard of it.

Ta

This has come from Downer edi mining, they run over 15 to 20 of theses units, thats v8 motor troopies, workmates and 200lc in one mine alone. i know miners drive these things hard and abuse them i work in one mine too, i know they dont get the best treatment. but i was only saying that it sounds to be big end noise,not that it is and only from the past experiance with my 80 lc with the knocking noise.. so sorry guys if i mispelled a word to give u the wrong ideas. I will try to find out from the fitters what they have found and keep you all up to date.cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.

I have been buying LC's (DIESEL) since 1999 and generally average 2 new ones every 3 years( used for business) and i had great hopes for the 200 series when i first heard of the new model. like the rest of you I had all the promises about the improved fuel economy and power. I feel that the 200 series is a huge let down considering the promises made by toyota and many of the modifications and quality of build is extremely sub standard.

Just to go through a few of the issues and concerns with my 200.

lack of acceleration when you need it the most ( need to plant the foot to get out of a sticky situation)

noisy motor Toyota replaced my engine @10000km(new long motor but old equipment that was on the motor, starter motor, fuel system and everythimg else that hangs off it was put back on- no improvement) this noise appeared suddenly at 1500 km.

dust intrusion into the vehicle ( a lot of dust from the tailgate lower door)

lowering of the bullbar with the 'new' mounts for the bullbar(genuine)

Why did they remove the sub tank in the diesel! I get 600km at best out of a tank. make it useless for bush driving

These are some of the issues for which DPRs have been filled out.

The main point behind this posting is to inform you that Toyota will not react to calls to their 'customer care centre'. They will only react if they get enough reports from the dealers. This form that must be filled out by the dealer is known as a DPR (dealer product report) and in the case of the dust intrusion, the 'care' centre has had a lot of calls from customers but only 1 dealer, mine, who has filled in the DPR. The result of this is that Toyota does no see any 'faults' and does not react.

Please insist on your dealer filling in a DPR for any concerns you might have with your vehicle, it will be the only way Toyota will admit to themselves that they have any problems. As an engineer dealing with control systems, Toyota's excuse for sloppy acceleration being due to the 'fly by wire' setup is rubbish. it is plain and simply dodgy engineering of the control system and the associated algorithms.

PLEASE, PLEASE insist that your dealer fill out a DPR so that we, the customers, benefit sooner than later.

Edited by Kymbo

:o Thats right, i just found out my workmate has a 90 lt tank and no sub this is another 1200 dollars to spend,i use mine for work n play,the main reason i brought this is i am planing a outback holiday for over 2 months. i wanted the gxl wagon but thought i would go with the workmate wagon less things to go wrong. i added a arb winch bar, flares 5 new alloy rims with 5 new bf goodrich mud krawlers front and rear arb air lockers compressor,9000lb warn winch, tinted windows.2 inch lift kit and a draw system in the rear phew!. oh i had to pay extra for air con too. ok at the end of the day i will have a great 4wd but i only found out today that it has no sub tank!!! but the troopys have .also i found out from the fitters that the v8 do have big end problems already, same as the 80 series turbo diesel had in the 90"s and toyota cant explain why they use so much oil either! now i am beginning to wonder will this motor last in the outback?did i make a good choice? i dont wanna be stuck somewhere in the bush for days lol. i would like if anyone else has these problems. cheers Ron

:o Thats right, i just found out my workmate has a 90 lt tank and no sub this is another 1200 dollars to spend,i use mine for work n play,the main reason i brought this is i am planing a outback holiday for over 2 months. i wanted the gxl wagon but thought i would go with the workmate wagon less things to go wrong. i added a arb winch bar, flares 5 new alloy rims with 5 new bf goodrich mud krawlers front and rear arb air lockers compressor,9000lb warn winch, tinted windows.2 inch lift kit and a draw system in the rear phew!. oh i had to pay extra for air con too. ok at the end of the day i will have a great 4wd but i only found out today that it has no sub tank!!! but the troopys have .also i found out from the fitters that the v8 do have big end problems already, same as the 80 series turbo diesel had in the 90"s and toyota cant explain why they use so much oil either! now i am beginning to wonder will this motor last in the outback?did i make a good choice? i dont wanna be stuck somewhere in the bush for days lol. i would like if anyone else has these problems. cheers Ron

Ron, it's not the motor I would be worried about but rather all the electronics.

These are a beaut bus but when they go wrong - good luck.

I had a rear wheel sensor cable fail 300kms S/E of Carnarvon. User guide said don't drive the vehicle - yeah sure.

Rang the dealer (luckily it was Fri before closing) and got the OK to keep driving without voiding warranty.

This ABS sensor had failed due to a previous tire blowout a couple of weeks prior (?) which caused the ABS & 4WD not to operate (could not lock the center diff).

Oh yeah, at the time there was no indication of the error - most of the dash lights on or flickering, and it was only when the computer was used by the dealer, did it reveal the problem of the ABS sensor - very disappointing.

TCO.

• 12 years later...

Hi there

Land Cruiser
200 when accelerate hard I could hear the sharp
scrape of noise from engine , the mechanics said it's usual for old cars to make that kind of noise. It could be a turbo noise,I really want to know where is the problem.

Thanks