oil consumption toyota landcruiser diesel

Our company has 2x Toyota Landcruiser turbo diesel, both purchased December 2007. Both of them have problems with using that much oil in between services, that a topup is required. e.g. the oil level warning light comes on. One of them has now done over 50K and at the latest check at 48K. which was 8K after its last service, 1.7 liters of oil had been consumed. Toyota is aware of this, but no solutions has been forthcoming.

All engines use oil. No matter how old or new. But if the oil warning light is coming on, there has to be a problem. Especially when a diesel L/C will take around 9 or 10 lts of oil. If you had brought it into my dealership, we would have done something about it.

Does the car have any oil leaks? The second sump or rear main are a common one on those. If not, pull off the intake piping at the turbo and check if there is a pool of oil in there. A little bit is normal but not heaps.

Edited by jaybee

I work on a fleet of coasters with the 1Hz diesels and wehave buses that range in K's from 120 000 to 380 000 k's. Most of them don't use any oil at all but occasionally we have a couple that may use 100 to 200ml of oil between services.

the amount of oil you are using tells me there is a problem. If there are no significant signs of leaks then my guess would be either rings or headgasket leaking. both of these should be easy to identify.