Obtaining a new Rear Left light assemble for Gen 4

Westy87

Hey guys as topic says, I had my car in a parking lot and some one had reversed into my car, not sure how they managed to ONLY break the light assemble and not put even a scratch on any paintwork, but I guess I should be thankful it was only the light. Anyhow yeh the orange blinker bit on the rear left side has been all smashed and cracked so I need a new one and prefereably soon.

So my question is, what are my best options for obtaining the assembly (I assume thats what I need), are they still sold new? Or aftermarket? Or wreckers?

Cheers,

Westy

I'de avoid buying new from Toyota purely for the price, and the fact that a new light is going to stick out like a sore thumb compared to one with 10 odd years of fading.

Aftermarket is a possibility but once again is going to stand out, so wreckers are your best bet :)

Hmm the other option is buying a new set both left and right, but in a new style. If you can remember that white gen4 in the modded camry picture thread on camcrew, it ha the clear rear lights, where could I get something like those

Hmm the other option is buying a new set both left and right, but in a new style. If you can remember that white gen4 in the modded camry picture thread on camcrew, it ha the clear rear lights, where could I get something like those

HAHA! That's Relish's Camry who posted above you!

There is a bunch on ebay, here's one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98-99-TO...sQ5fAccessories

Your tail light harness is different to the USDM one, so you need the USDM harness for it which I actually just mailed to Relish. He can explain it better though. :)

hey dude is it a gen 4 or 4.5

'98=gen 4.0 :)

Oh and it doesnt really matter if its gen4 or 4.5 if I buy left and right does it?

EDIT: Oh I get it, if I get just the outer sections of the 4.5 style it probably wont fit in with the trunk section of the gen 4 style eh?

Edited by Westy87

Gen4.5 lights wont fit!!!! So forget about them, they are larger than the Gen4 and would need custom body work for the install, plus IMO (and most others I've asked lol) the Gen4 lights are a nicer design anyway with the exception of the fact that Gen4.5 lights are made of nicer plastics :P

Even if they fit, you would need to buy all 4 rear lights to make it match up...this also applys to just buying 2 new Gen4 corner lights.

Also I seem to remember from Camcrew that you would be selling the Gen4 shortly anyway so there would be little point in doing anything but just replacing the broken light from a wrecker if that's the case.

But if your set on the red and clears like I have there's a few things you need to know :

1. They are technically illeagle for onroad use in Australia, I havn't had an issue with that but still it applys.

2.NONE of the rear wiring will plug into them without custom work....ie you have to buy an US spec rear tailight harness and mongrell it into the Aussie one...Fun Fun

3.They will stick out like a sore thumb unless you also buy US spec boot lights, the reason being that the US used a different backing plastic to the assembly and also the tinted lines on the outer edge of the tailights is darker...aside from the fact that your boot lights are well faded and would be duller.

Sorry for the long reply but I had to cause I'm tryin to help :P

Thanks mate, Ill go to a wreckers this arvo. AFAIK if they dont have it there they can find a wreckers in australia with one yeh? Like they have a big database or something.

Anyhow you were right I do plan on selling the camry, I'm wanting a wagon these days. I was gonna get the '02 touring wagon and put the GTP kit on it but that idea fell through, as I want a manual + not front wheel drive. And because toyota dont wanna sell the caldina and support it in australia, I'm thinking of the Liberty wagon now.

hey dude is it a gen 4 or 4.5

'98=gen 4.0 :)

Oh and it doesnt really matter if its gen4 or 4.5 if I buy left and right does it?

EDIT: Oh I get it, if I get just the outer sections of the 4.5 style it probably wont fit in with the trunk section of the gen 4 style eh?

oh my bad didnt luk at ur details