back up battery replacement

wpaulg

Hi all there, :help:

Can any one tell me what it is and where to buy a replacement Nicad battery for my Toyotalink unit.

Toyotalink contact me daily to say the back up battery requires replacement but the local Toyota Dealer ,who supplied the car, insist that there isn't one. Not listed in the spare parts listings. :angry:

both are very annoying :blink:

For something such as this, you're only luck would be with the Toyota spare parts department. If they can't identify the proper part and can't help you out, I would check it out for myself. It shouldn't be hard to open up the Toyota Link unit and have a look at what it uses. If you're skilled enough, you may even be able to repack it with some Ni-MH batteries. I guess Toyota didn't anticipate the batteries in these units to lose their life like that.

These Toyota Link batteries cannot be sourced through spare parts...

Your local Toyota Dealer has to apply for a replacement part from the manufacturer...

Thats great

He doesnt believe that there is a battery involved as its not on the spares listing. :spiteful:

Hi all there, :help:

Can any one tell me what it is and where to buy a replacement Nicad battery for my Toyotalink unit.

Toyotalink contact me daily to say the back up battery requires replacement but the local Toyota Dealer ,who supplied the car, insist that there isn't one. Not listed in the spare parts listings. :angry:

both are very annoying :blink:

Where are you located? I only ask because I just put my Aurion in for a service in Nunawading, Melbourne and I had to get my backup battery replaced as well.

In my case, they had to order the part in (at least they acknowledge the existence of a battery).

Once it comes in, they reckon it will take a few hours to replace the battery as it is located under the parcel shelf and they may need to dismantle the parcel shelf in order to access it.

Not sure if that's BS that they are feeding me. If it is true, then I'd say that Toyota hasn't designed the unit too well if it requires a dismantling of a parcel shelf in order to replace a backup battery... but I digress.

If you are in Melbourne, you may consider taking it to Nunawading. At least they sound like they know what they are doing.

Yup. Definitely under the parcel shelf. The Toyota Link unit at first created a bit of discussion, hehehe:

Burning question!!

If it is true, then I'd say that Toyota hasn't designed the unit too well if it requires a dismantling of a parcel shelf in order to replace a backup battery...

It's not a first. The parker lights on the Aurion are a pain to change.

Yes, the battery is located under the parcel shelf...

Remove the back seat, remove the C pillar trims, remove the parcel shelf...

Bit of a pain but it's better to hide the system than to have it out in the open making your interior look ugly...

I totally agree about hiding the system so that it keeps my interior looking nice, but isn't that black box in the boot the toyota assist unit. It's not exactly an integrated unit. It kinda sticks out there.... we'll like a dog's balls.

Given that, I would have thought that battery replacement should be a quick job.

Yes, the battery is located under the parcel shelf...

Remove the back seat, remove the C pillar trims, remove the parcel shelf...

Bit of a pain but it's better to hide the system than to have it out in the open making your interior look ugly...

I totally agree about hiding the system so that it keeps my interior looking nice, but isn't that black box in the boot the toyota assist unit. It's not exactly an integrated unit. It kinda sticks out there.... we'll like a dog's balls.

Given that, I would have thought that battery replacement should be a quick job.

Finally found a dealer who recognised that there is a battery, :toast: first up stated available overnight from Melbourne, then, now available from Sydney, <_< but wait there's more, not available Australia, 30 days delay from Japan. :angry:

Still dont think it is really necessary as there is no problem with the unit just the fact that the recommendations are to replace the battery every 3 years and the car is now three, I believe just on selling from Toyotalink. :whistling:

or am I just------:nopity:

Them Nicads are pretty hardy if taken care of. I would assume that the Toyota Link unit has appropriate charging circuits. If they can get extra profit for making you change it every 3 years, then I guess it is something they can ask you to do. Or they could be using the reasoning that it's better to be on the safe side and have your battery in top notch condition in the event that you break down.

Personally, I'd just open it myself and swap the battery. But that's just me. Then next time they call to remind me, I will say that I would like them to stop reminding me.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally replaced a Toyota Link battery last week on a 36 series Camry...

Remove rear seats, remove C Pillars and Parcel Shelf, unplug wiring harnesses and aerials, drop the box down into the boot, opened it up and replaced the battery...

Then put it all back together...

Done in about an hour, not too hard to do, just something new :) ...

• 3 years later...

This location of the battery is probably made difficult to get to, so that Toyota dealers can earn a tidy profit. Consumable items should be made readily accessible, such as the coolant, lubricating oil, brake fluid etc.; maybe they will also be well hidden in future too.

Incidentally a had a custom twin voltage battery made up for a special movie camera (original NiCd, but new is MH) for $70; a much more complex battery than that for the Link unit, which currently goes for around $350 to replace.