How long before a battery goes flat

Hi,

I recently left my 2007 ZRE152 Levin at an airport for 5 days.

When I got back I had to call NRMA to come and jump start me - friggin battery voltage was down to 2V.

Mr NRMA said nothing had been left on and battery appeared to be Ok, does anyone know if this is normal and about how many days can it be left sitting before going flat.

I know many variables can change the answer but have tried asking Toyota and one email and two phone calls later I thought it might be easier to try here.

Thanks.

the battery i have in my 2005 corolla has been there since new and recently was left unstarted for three weeks. and still started first go. Also am a wondering if i should think about new battery now before mine goes flat especially with all the electronics in car

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

When I got back I had to call NRMA to come and jump start me - friggin battery voltage was down to 2V.

Mr NRMA said nothing had been left on and battery appeared to be Ok, does anyone know if this is normal and about how many days can it be left sitting before going flat.

I know many variables can change the answer but have tried asking Toyota and one email and two phone calls later I thought it might be easier to try here.

Thanks.

Hi Mate,

Looks like you had a failing battery, but it didnt showed up since after 5 days when you tried to start again. There are possible cause of failing batteries especially in newer models.

1. Possibly battery changed by seller,

2. Use of vehicle accesories such as MP3 Player, air-con, leave doors open for long time when engine not running which

chews the battery life,

3. Positive touching body or ground wires,

4. Battery water level low,

5. Alternator not charging battery properly or alternator failing using more amps from battery to kick start,

6. Battery terminals loose.

7. Cheaper battery.

Have your vehicle electrics checked by trusted electrican for any leakages.

Ta.

Mine is a 03 model and left it for around 3 - 4 weeks unstarted, using my alarm+keyless entry to lock the car.

Still start first time everytime.

Left it 3 - 4 weeks twice 3 months apart. No problems. Its the original battery the car came with and although its ok, i find it takes a little longer to start in the morning. Thinking of changing it soon looking that its close to 6 years for that battery.

Nv ran it flat although i did accidentally left it in 'ON' for about an hour or so but still managed to start after ......

Hi,

Thanks.

i fit batteries for RACV in melbourne (mobile van in CBD)im seeing more and more late model cars that have stood for a week or so needing attention.(ive even done a few Aurions) VE comms are the most popular at the moment(bl00dy things are tucked away in the 1/4 panel, pain in the azz)anyway a jumpstart will get ya going but the damage is done,batteries today seem like every thing else once trouble starts its time to replace.there seems to be NO rhyme or reason why they fail sometimes ya get a good one that hangs in there for long time but on average im seeing 4-5 years life.our premium batteries offer a 3yr warranty and i do replace these warranty batteries quite often. p.s for some reason they always seem to fail at the most inconvenient time, not when your doing a service or a general checkover.at least there is roadside service on batteries ,alternators,startermotors. getting towed for a battery would be a real pain.ive also found the old saying ya get what ya pay for, so 3mth & 6mth wty batteries are usually junk or revamped and with all the electronics we have in our cars these days quality helps.anyway this was proberly no help, but its a question i get asked most days HOW LONG IS A BATTERY SUPPOSED TO LAST and i still dont know.(qty of batteries fitted into the thousands by now so ive seen a few)this is my view and not RACV its just my 2cents worth.

Hi,

Thanks.

i fit batteries for RACV in melbourne (mobile van in CBD)im seeing more and more late model cars that have stood for a week or so needing attention.(ive even done a few Aurions) VE comms are the most popular at the moment(bl00dy things are tucked away in the 1/4 panel, pain in the azz)anyway a jumpstart will get ya going but the damage is done,batteries today seem like every thing else once trouble starts its time to replace.there seems to be NO rhyme or reason why they fail sometimes ya get a good one that hangs in there for long time but on average im seeing 4-5 years life.our premium batteries offer a 3yr warranty and i do replace these warranty batteries quite often. p.s for some reason they always seem to fail at the most inconvenient time, not when your doing a service or a general checkover.at least there is roadside service on batteries ,alternators,startermotors. getting towed for a battery would be a real pain.ive also found the old saying ya get what ya pay for, so 3mth & 6mth wty batteries are usually junk or revamped and with all the electronics we have in our cars these days quality helps.anyway this was proberly no help, but its a question i get asked most days HOW LONG IS A BATTERY SUPPOSED TO LAST and i still dont know.(qty of batteries fitted into the thousands by now so ive seen a few)this is my view and not RACV its just my 2cents worth.

good info. I'm thinking of getting one of those RACV vans to come replace my battery.

So what your saying is that batteries provided by those RACV vans could potentially be faulty as well?

Hi,

Thanks.

good info. I'm thinking of getting one of those RACV vans to come replace my battery.

So what your saying is that batteries provided by those RACV vans could potentially be faulty as well?

NOT really what i meant, but we do replace warranty batteries like every other battery company and sometimes we fit brand new 3 yr wty batteries and they fail just like any other companys product, be we and a few others are able to at least offer 3yrs piece of mind.i roll up to jobs and there is know real way of telling whether the racv member has done something wrong ie(boot light left on,interior lights,headlights,dvd/tv/nav/cameras ect ect i just shut up and replace with a smile and let RACV deal with their warranty policies which i thinks is heavly in favor of the member when it comes to warranty, most of us patrol guys just fit em with minimal fuss because we get paid on the service call and a very small lick on the battery(unless we spot a glaring fault like alternator not charging or the members done some bodgy wiring job you should see some em they make me smile, or a few other little things we check, alls good to claim warranty)its worth using RACV NRMA RACQ RACT they all offer nationwide service and warranty.anyway i stand by the product and policy but the choice is totally up to you. :D

No offense mate. Neither am I having a dig. I understand that things built now a days are not meant to last forever taking mobile phones as a pure example. Its good that you fessed up, saying that you do replace RACV provided batteries under warranty. I'll be getting one and also just enforces my thought that nothing lasts as long as people think they do or think they should. Not your fault, not RACV's fault, not ......... (I can go on but you get the picture ....... )

Paying 100++ for 3 years worth of piece of mind is OK in my opinion. That's why I'm a road-side assist member. Nv know when you need it. 76 bucks is too little of an amount to bother now a days.

Saying all that, I guess you might be replacing my battery soon?? How much are they to a member?

:lol:

No offense mate. Neither am I having a dig. I understand that things built now a days are not meant to last forever taking mobile phones as a pure example. Its good that you fessed up, saying that you do replace RACV provided batteries under warranty. I'll be getting one and also just enforces my thought that nothing lasts as long as people think they do or think they should. Not your fault, not RACV's fault, not ......... (I can go on but you get the picture ....... )

Paying 100++ for 3 years worth of piece of mind is OK in my opinion. That's why I'm a road-side assist member. Nv know when you need it. 76 bucks is too little of an amount to bother now a days.

Saying all that, I guess you might be replacing my battery soon?? How much are they to a member?

:lol:

2003 corolla 1 year wty 300cca $85.00 fitted & 3yr wty 370cca $134.00 fitted members price. Non member prices are $100.00 fitted & $149.00 fitted respectivley.

2003 corolla 1 year wty 300cca $85.00 fitted & 3yr wty 370cca $134.00 fitted members price. Non member prices are $100.00 fitted & $149.00 fitted respectivley.

Thanks for that. See you soon ;)

• 5 years later...

Hi guys..anyone know what CCA battery I should be looking for to replace the one on my 2010 ZRE Corolla... heard it was 460, but I'm really not sure.. thanks in advance :g: