Stereo setup & Speaker sizes for 2003 Dual Cab SR5 Hilux

Dr.Semtek

Hey everyone,

Just recently purchased a 2003 Dual Cab Hilux SR5 and im pretty keen to get the stereo system sorted out.

Without pulling the door apart can anyone tell me the speaker sizes by any chance ??

Has anyone got a setup they suggest for the best possible sound ???

Cheers

Josh

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

Just recently purchased a 2003 Dual Cab Hilux SR5 and im pretty keen to get the stereo system sorted out.

Without pulling the door apart can anyone tell me the speaker sizes by any chance ??

Has anyone got a setup they suggest for the best possible sound ???

Cheers

Josh

Hey Josh,

I recently bought a 2003 Hilux SR5 dual cab and just about finished putting in a new sound system. I can tell you that the front speakers are the usual 6"s and the rears are 4.5"s. All speakers are attached to the doors by plastic mounts. I realised I could fit 6"s straight onto the rear doors by removing the 4.5" plastic mounts. My setup is as follows:

Sony Xplod XM-4S 4ch amplifier behind the back seat powering:

- Sony Xplod 6" splits in the front doors

- Sony Xplod 6" 2 ways in the back doors

- and a Boss 10" sub in a custom box i made that fits just behind the center console and between the front of the back seat.

At the moment i just have a basic single DIN head unit with pre-outs powering the amp but i wanna upgrade to a Sony XAVW1 double DIN unit with a 7" touch screen and use it to control my laptop with Movies/Music/GPS etc.

After installing the speakers in the doors but before i put the sub in, i realised the speakers didnt give that great a sound and the speakers seemed to pop with the extra bass. Its not a bad thing, its just i expected them to sound better and I realised that its because the doors are not very air tight so if you don't plan on putting in a sub you may want to consider sound proofing the doors with Dynamat or something similar for better sound quality. Now that i have the sub, all the speakers are run in HPF so theres no bass really in the doors and they dont make that popping noise, but having the sub in now its made a HUGE difference to the overall sound quality! Plus, because the sub is inside the cabin it doesnt require much power and the bass is deep and clean.

Hope this helps you and good luck with your install. Cheers.

Mark