help: installing coilovers

wil_rolla

hey guys,,

i'm picking up set of coils today and was thinking about putting them in my self,,, as it dosen't sound/look to hard to do..

how ever, the place where i'm going to get my wheel alignment done said i have to make sure the "rebound and compresson" is set up right before i put them in other wise i will distroy the shocks...

and something like make sure the spring has the right tension..

he said the wheel alignment is $90-$120 or he can fit them in and do it all proper for $400+ inc alignmet..

i always thought that coilover came from the factory set up and they were a plug and go...

so is he right or is he trying to make some money off me??

so how do i check the rebound and compression and spring tension before installation??

thanks in advance suspension guru's...

wil

hey guys,,

i'm picking up set of coils today and was thinking about putting them in my self,,, as it dosen't sound/look to hard to do..

how ever, the place where i'm going to get my wheel alignment done said i have to make sure the "rebound and compresson" is set up right before i put them in other wise i will distroy the shocks...

and something like make sure the spring has the right tension..

he said the wheel alignment is $90-$120 or he can fit them in and do it all proper for $400+ inc alignmet..

i always thought that coilover came from the factory set up and they were a plug and go...

so is he right or is he trying to make some money off me??

so how do i check the rebound and compression and spring tension before installation??

thanks in advance suspension guru's...

wil

Spring tension? Cars tend to use compression springs :lol: If the coilovers your using are the Cusco style (height adjustable via the lower mount) then set the lower spring seat to compress the spring only very lightly. This is to make sure the spring won't rattle around and apply some force to help hold the seat in place. If the height is adjusted via compressing the spring then nothing to worry about.

Rebound and comrpession is controlled either by opening up the strut and changing the valving inside, or in the case of adjustable units via the adjustment knob.

Not all 'coilovers' are plug and play, Cuscos and Tein are, D2 for example aren't. A wheel alignment is still needed regardless after installation, only need a front end alignment. The price you quoted looks like a 4 wheel alignment.