high idle revs and rattling noise???

Agent001

i've got an camry sv21 which we have had in our family since new. its a manual and has 220000km on the clock and has been pretty well looked after its whole life. however, in the past year or so, when pulling up at the lights or stopping, the engine seems to rev around 2000 +/-500 rpm when idleing. plus at times i hear a rattling noise, which i think is somewhere from the rear of the car, possibly the exhuast but unsure of its exact location. to stop the rattling and get it to idle at 1000rpm (normal idle rpm), i have to tap the accelerator (i usually leave it in neutral at the lights) which makes the engine rev up and then back to 1000rpm again.

i took the car for routine servicing at my local mechanic, about 6 months ago, he did a few things including oil change and brakes, plus he said he did a tune up. after that, the car idled perfectly and the rattling noise was gone, but a few months later, its back.

could anyone shed some light as to the cause of this and how can it be rectified. is it an easy job, and how much would it likely set me back.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
maybe check that nothing is interfering with the accelerator cable. this might explain why 'tapping' the pedal returns idle to 1000rpm~.

thanks laterarus. where would i find the accelator cable. is there a level under the hold that if move, increases the engine revs. i did a search on the internet and found this article

Toyota Recall Tied to Accelerator Cable

March 10, 2001

Toyota Motor Co. is recalling 53,061 Camrys that might have flawed accelerator cable housings, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.

Regulators said the housings in some Camrys made at the company's Kentucky plant could have defects that cause the accelerator cable to break, "allowing the throttle to return to idle or remain in its most recent position regardless of accelerator pedal operation."

i have a few toyota camrys at work which i have driven over the years from 2002 model to current. when the engine is first turned on, it always seems to rev around 2000rpm or there abouts. after driving, it will settle down to idle property at below 1000rpm. i also not this in the 2002 to 2007 corrolla as well. is this normal with toyota, because it never seems to occur on any other car i drive.

The engines on cold start, will sit around 2k rpm for about 20 secs, then gradually start lowering itself. It seems to be a Toyota thing... I reckon it's there to get the engine warmed up quicker and to get the engine working much more before the driver actually goes for a drive.

maybe check that nothing is interfering with the accelerator cable. this might explain why 'tapping' the pedal returns idle to 1000rpm~.

thanks laterarus. where would i find the accelator cable. is there a level under the hold that if move, increases the engine revs. i did a search on the internet and found this article

Toyota Recall Tied to Accelerator Cable

March 10, 2001

Toyota Motor Co. is recalling 53,061 Camrys that might have flawed accelerator cable housings, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.

Regulators said the housings in some Camrys made at the company's Kentucky plant could have defects that cause the accelerator cable to break, "allowing the throttle to return to idle or remain in its most recent position regardless of accelerator pedal operation."

i have a few toyota camrys at work which i have driven over the years from 2002 model to current. when the engine is first turned on, it always seems to rev around 2000rpm or there abouts. after driving, it will settle down to idle property at below 1000rpm. i also not this in the 2002 to 2007 corrolla as well. is this normal with toyota, because it never seems to occur on any other car i drive.

Hey mate, i know a few camry owners (a 2001 model and a 2008 model) and both rev high when started on a cold day, and i've hired an aurion 2007 model and a camry 2008 model and both did the same thing. My kluger also revs higher when you start it, then you can literally hear it drop down after 20-30 seconds. I think its normal.

I once drove a car (forgot what brand but it was new) which had a dash light that turned on when the car was cold and it would switch off when it was okay to drive when it warmed up a bit. I think it was a hyundai i30 or maybe an astra, but anyway i thought it was good, toyota should do the same. I read in the handbook though that you should drive your car to warm it up, not idle (this is in my kluger handbook).

Btw, best signature pic :clap:

chrs

Matt