94 SDV10 4CYL

KamryKruizer

hi guys

where is the temp gauge supposed to sit during normal running, the reason i ask is our camry barely gets above cold, my other car (not a camry) gets to about a 1/3rd.

if its running too cold whats the best thermostat to get?

thanks

KK

hi guys

where is the temp gauge supposed to sit during normal running, the reason i ask is our camry barely gets above cold, my other car (not a camry) gets to about a 1/3rd.

if its running too cold whats the best thermostat to get?

thanks

KK

Dunno about your Camry, but after warming up, my 1MZ-FE sits at exactly halfway on the temp. guage.

As with most Toyotas (if not most cars) the temp gauge should sit slightly below the halfway mark (no more than a tick or two though)

First, get yourself a Gregorys or similar workshop manual - they're indispensable for all the DIY stuff.

Worthwhile checking first is if the thermofans are operating correctly - they should turn on when the engine gets hot but turn off when travelling on the highway. If they're on all the time then the car might not reach correct operating temperature. Also worth checking is that the thermostat in there is working correctly - take it out and dunk it in a pot of water and slowly bring it to the boil (with a thermometer in there too), and note the temperature at which the thermostat opens. Compare that to the standard opening temperature - if it opens at the correct temperature then it's not a problem, if it opens too early then that could explain your problem - and replace if necessary.

hey thanks guys, i thought it was running a tad too cold.

thermo fans are ok, they stay off when cars cold if they went all the time they would come on when ignition turned, correct?

anyway ive removed the thermostat and am off to yak to the toyota spares guys to see if a hotter thermo is required

thanks for the input appreciated

KK

edit: there is no thermostat....................previous owner mustve taken it out.......problem sorted and car now running at just below 1/2

No thermostat? lol

Yeah, 4 cylinder Camrys run around 45%, V6s usually sit around 48-50%...

Can anyone here then advise for the 3VZs with the oil driven fans... where to locate the device that triggers the fan to activate when getting too hot? I've had a problem with it before, on and off... thought there was something at the radiator that has a wire directly to the ECU to activate the fan at the higher speed when needed?