timming belt

animefreak

just wondering if $300 AUD is a bit to expensive for changing the timming belt on a toyota camry altise? including labour?

also sorry for the newb question but what is a timming belt,what does it do and is it difficult to replace?

any help would be much appreciated.

if you've got a 2az-fe (4 cyl), then it's got a timing chain (which is like a motorbike chain). the 1mz-fe (6 cyl) has the timing belt. the difference is that the timing chains were designed to last longer for economic servicability in that they last longer than traditional rubber belts. timing belts/chains keep the timing of the engine, which is to synchronise the camshaft valves with the revolutions of the crankshaft, and keep the power steering, water pump, and alternator working

if the $300 is including the belt or chain, and labour, then i think that's a pretty good price. a fair bit of the engine and trim have to be removed to replace it.

if youre getting your timing belt replaced, i'd highly recommend replacing the water pump if its showing signs of wear. the addtional cost of the water pump is negligible to the total cost of taking it all apart again should it fail.

Edited by lateralus

if you've got a 2az-fe (4 cyl), then it's got a timing chain (which is like a motorbike chain). the 1mz-fe (6 cyl) has the timing belt. the difference is that the timing chains were designed to last longer for economic servicability in that they last longer than traditional rubber belts. timing belts/chains keep the timing of the engine, which is to synchronise the camshaft valves with the revolutions of the crankshaft, and keep the power steering, water pump, and alternator working

if the $300 is including the belt or chain, and labour, then i think that's a pretty good price. a fair bit of the engine and trim have to be removed to replace it.

if youre getting your timing belt replaced, i'd highly recommend replacing the water pump if its showing signs of wear. the addtional cost of the water pump is negligible to the total cost of taking it all apart again should it fail.

thanks heaps wasen't sure if that was to expensive but i think the car is looking for a total overhaul as we bought it when it was at 95k and they said you should change the timming belt every 100k. a friend of mine quote something like $700 for everything that includes oil change, filter, etc (why am i asking you guys and not my friend well....... don't really trust him as i've been had in the past lol (why i still call him a friend i don't know)

but thanks for the information i'll proable get the water pump changed as well

Yeah,

There's a couple of other things that can be done... bearings, seals etc etc... spark plugs... etc etc.

But yeah, always replace the water pump when doing the timing belt...

just wondering if $300 AUD is a bit to expensive for changing the timming belt on a toyota camry altise? including labour?

also sorry for the newb question but what is a timming belt,what does it do and is it difficult to replace?

any help would be much appreciated.

Is there any reason why you want to change the timing belt/chain?

If it is in fact a chain and you don't hear any noises (like a loose chain noise from a worn tensioner), then it's fine. This should be fairly easy and they will be able to tell you if it;s only the tensioner or if the chain is worn too.

However, if it's a belt and hasn't been changed for 5 years. Then yes, do it, $300 is a good price. They change the belt, tensioner and ilder pulle which have bearings in them, they also do some seals. When replacing the waterpump, make sure they do the thermostat as well.