Popping Brakes on 08 Corolla

Hey guys,

Im not sure if its the bloody freezing Melbourne weather causing this, as I did not notice it in summer... BUT

in the morning when I go to work (my car is garaged most nights), then I put the car into reverse and go out of garage and out of my drive way (about 15m long). I need to clearly apply to brakes to keep control of the cars speed while reversing. When I do this however, I get a metalic poping sound (thats the best way I can descirbe it). It reminds of metal expanding and contracting and it makes that sound.

When I put it into Drive and drive normally, I dont notice the sound at all. and once the car has been running and so on, and I use reverse, I cant notice it at all.

So here is where im thinking its something to do with the brakes in cold weather.

I dont think this is normal (please tell me if it is however). and its up for its 30K service in the next couple of months. What should I do? have you heard of this problem before?

P.S my braking performance does not seem to be effected at present, I had to come up to a very quick halt from 80KM/H the other day, and the brakes did a fine job at slowing me down.

You know, I've noticed exactly the same thing!

08 Corolla Ascent nearing 25,000km.

You're right, it's hard to explain, but it is like a metallic popping sound. After the car has been driven for a bit, it's fine, and my braking effectiveness hasn't changed at all.

It's very strange. I might try and record it in the morning.

The noise is caused by the brake pads vibrating against the caliper/mounting bracket when cold. :)

nicely explained :D lol myn hasnt had that sound yet lolz

• 2 weeks later...