lightweight crank

so i just came across a lightweight knife-edge crank shaft for the 1zz on the monkeywrench website and was wondering wat sort of benifits i would possibly get out of it and would it be worth the price. also wondering if anyones running one atm.. cheers everyone

knife-edging isn't all that usefull as the crank doesn't run in the actual sump bowl where the oil is held and there's a windage tray to prevent the oil sloshing up to the crank.

Weight removed from the crank is effectively free HP, although bang for buck it's not really worthwhile. If you're doing a lightened crank then you might aswell grab some Ti rods and lightweight forged pistons too. The power increase is totally not worth the outlay in $$$. Much better off spending a lot less money for a ton more power with a good turbo setup or even a 2zz swap.

I'd be suprised if a fully built NA 1zz could outdo a 2zz with aftermarket ECU and ported headers.

Edited by CHA54

As far as reliability goes you'll have to look into lightweight cranks on other engines as MWR have only just released them for the ZZ engines.

I'd say the knife edging is someone's attempt at aerodynamics that has just carried through the years. Shame they didn't do fluid mechanics to know that a rain drop shape creates less drag (might be hard to balance though).

As far as reliability goes you'll have to look into lightweight cranks on other engines as MWR have only just released them for the ZZ engines.

I'd say the knife edging is someone's attempt at aerodynamics that has just carried through the years. Shame they didn't do fluid mechanics to know that a rain drop shape creates less drag (might be hard to balance though).

cheers for the wisdom superdave not to sure i want to go down that path just yet if its going to be a hassel in balancing the engine