First time Trailer user

TOM12

Yesterday was the first time I attached a small single axle trailer on to the new KX-r 2WD,

when I started off there were no issues, but 5 min down the road the screen started flashing Brakes malfunction , Check ABS, pull over immediately and get it checked by the dealer.

off course I did not do it as I was on a Hwy.if the Mrs would have been driving she would have pulled over in the middle of the HWY. It looked like there was something seriously wrong with the brakes.

but the brakes on the car were working fine so kept on driving.

after I unhoked the trailer everything was back to normal.

I would guess it has something to do with the trailer brakes not having ABS.

Would'nt think this is normal while pulling a trailer, can someone tell me how to get around this or should I take it to the dealer for some tweaking

Yesterday was the first time I attached a small single axle trailer on to the new KX-r 2WD,

when I started off there were no issues, but 5 min down the road the screen started flashing Brakes malfunction , Check ABS, pull over immediately and get it checked by the dealer.

off course I did not do it as I was on a Hwy.if the Mrs would have been driving she would have pulled over in the middle of the HWY. It looked like there was something seriously wrong with the brakes.

but the brakes on the car were working fine so kept on driving.

after I unhoked the trailer everything was back to normal.

I would guess it has something to do with the trailer brakes not having ABS.

Would'nt think this is normal while pulling a trailer, can someone tell me how to get around this or should I take it to the dealer for some tweaking

I assume that since it was a single axle trailer it does not have its own electric brakes. Not that this should matter, as I suspect there is something wrong with you trailer plug wiring. I tow a 1570 Kg Caravan with electric brakes and a single axle trailer regularly and have no problem with any warning messages on the Kluger. I would have your trailer wiring checked out by and auto-electrician.

It definitely is the wiring, someone probably touched it so when you braked, instead of no reaction from the trailer, the one which normally powers the electric brakes was probably hooked up to the brake lights on the trailer or indicator.

When u get the next trailer, test all lights work as they should, this shoudl eliminate any wiring issues.

• 6 months later...

I'm considering purchasing a trailer to tow behind my KX-S FWD.

I'm after something small that can be more easily stored at home so I'm thinking 5 x 3. I won't be carrying huge loads so brakes are unnecessary.

I'm acutely aware that the Kluger has 19" wheels and the trailer most probably won't...

I think this will present two problems... the trailers tyres will turn more often than the Klugers so they will wear quicker over the same distance and smaller tyres means that the trailer will sit lower.

The second of these two problems is the most concerning as I'll need to be especially careful when loading the trailer so as to evenly disperse weight across the axel but also be mindful of the "tilt" caused by different wheel sizes.

For those of you that are experienced with trailers, what options do you have in upgrading the wheels, is it purely a matter of how big are the wheel arches on the trailer or are there other things to consider too?

I suspect I should be aiming for wheels as big as possible on the trailer to match with Kluger so as to achieve most even ride differential between the two... and 17" wheels are probably the most common and therefore cheapest option?

I would actually not recommend changing the size of the tyre's on the trailer at all. What slight gains you make on matching the rolling diameter of the tyre's will be offset against the higher price of rubber itself. I'm no expert but I have towed quite a bit with my kluger for camping and the like with 5x3, 6x4 and camper trailers and none had more than 15" rims. Just make sure you put decent rubber on the trailer and carry a spare for it. Ensure Tyre pressures are even and appropriate for the load you are carting. Too low tyre pressures can generate a lot of heat in the rubber due to flexing and bouncing in trailers.

I have a 4x7 trailer with standard 14" rims & tyres i've towed it with heavy gravel to cut grass, and had no trouble with tyre size B)

The only problem i had was when i bought the Kluger with dealer fitted tow bar i had no lights??? Turned out the dealer didn't put a fuse in to activate the plug :blink: