Gold engine 1986??

1986Celica

Hi All,

I am new to the forums but I have been trying to find out for a while now if there is anything special about my Celica?! I took it to the mechanics and they said I had a rare engine I think they mentioned tommi makinen? Anyway its a gold engine and all the details I can find are...

Model: ST162R-BLMZSQ July 86

3S-GELC 2000 twin-cam 16 GOLD

Frame: ST162-7055100

Plant A54

I have looked all over the net and haven't found another Celica with a Gold engine so I am SOOOO confused!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Gemma :)

Hi All,

I am new to the forums but I have been trying to find out for a while now if there is anything special about my Celica?! I took it to the mechanics and they said I had a rare engine I think they mentioned tommi makinen? Anyway its a gold engine and all the details I can find are...

Model: ST162R-BLMZSQ July 86

3S-GELC 2000 twin-cam 16 GOLD

Frame: ST162-7055100

Plant A54

I have looked all over the net and haven't found another Celica with a Gold engine so I am SOOOO confused!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Gemma :)

Series 1 ST162s have gold-ish cam-covers on the 3SGE, nothing special. Most have faded by now though.

So does that make it just a standard ST?

the 3SGE would make it a standard SX afaik

the ST was 3SFE

Which would make it the top of the line of that era? (delivered to Australia that is)

Could it be a later model engine that has been put in it? the gold is still shiny as :) were there any later model engines that were gold that would explain the mechanics comments?

Thanks so much...

Edited by 1986Celica

the ST was 3SFE

Which would make it the top of the line of that era? (delivered to Australia that is)

yeah I think so, only thing above would be a GT4, but i dont think there was such thing as a gen 4 AUDM gt4... hiro?

the ST was 3SFE

yeah I think so, only thing above would be a GT4, but i dont think there was such thing as a gen 4 AUDM gt4... hiro?

There were only 3 different models of the ST16x sold in Australia - ST coupe, ST Liftback and SX Liftback (with a mid-life facelift for all). All ST165 GT4s are imports.

And saying that the SX is the top of the line is a bit of a laugh considering there was only the ST and SX, and the SX was released first so for a year or so it was the only line :P

To the OP - post up photos of your car + engine bay, that way we should be able to determine if it is indeed anything special

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

gold cam covers were standard on Aust delivered 3SG engines in St162 SX. means nothing!!

Only on series 1 though I believe - g/f's series 2 are silver (or at least severely faded)

Don't worry hunny it's special

Alll celica's are... :D

I would say special is a word better used to describe the idiots who buy them... haha.

*I love my celica, it just does not seem to love me.

Haha yeah... I question why so often, esp when putting in the new water pump and timing belt earlier this year. OMG what nightmare... but then i go for a good drive and that answers my question :)

Nothing better... NOTHING. ;)

Don't worry when you start giving yours a good work out it will love you back. lol

The gold being so shiney could be repainted/polished??

Haha yeah... I question why so often, esp when putting in the new water pump and timing belt earlier this year. OMG what nightmare... but then i go for a good drive and that answers my question :)

Nothing better... NOTHING. ;)

Don't worry when you start giving yours a good work out it will love you back. lol

The gold being so shiney could be repainted/polished??

oh i gave it a right flogging last nite, felt great!

as for the gold cam covers, mine will have some of those soon :D

Yeah, the fairy tale seems to be fading for mine, seems like the front shocks have collapsed because the wheels/tyres scrape on any significant bump, the rust in the sunroof is getting worse (fortunately none in the rest of the car) and it is uses fuel like an Irishman drinks Guiness

Yeah, the fairy tale seems to be fading for mine, seems like the front shocks have collapsed because the wheels/tyres scrape on any significant bump, the rust in the sunroof is getting worse (fortunately none in the rest of the car) and it is uses fuel like an Irishman drinks Guiness

yeah, those are pretty standard issues with them... mine has some sunroof rust, and ****** front struts... and it loves petrol :(

yeah, those are pretty standard issues with them... mine has some sunroof rust, and ****** front struts... and it loves petrol :(

Wondering how much a fibreglass (or actual glass) replacement roof would be, surely there'd be enough interest here and Toymods for a group-buy...

• 2 weeks later...

Well thank you again boys :) I've loved this car so much! i'm actually thinking of getting another Celica (2004?). This one is dying at the moment - Engine is still good just handles like a hovercraft hehehe :P So it will be coming up for sale in the coming weeks. I'm located in Newcastle if anyone is interested comes with some rego but really only useful as a project car or parts - there is minimal rust surprisingly! I'll try to post up some pics when I get a chance to confirm your opinions on the gold engine!

What do you think of the last incarnation of the Celica?

What do you think of the last incarnation of the Celica?

I think its mint. But I'm biased.

Get a manual. If your tall, get one without a sunroof (I have a sunroof and I'm 6'3, only -just- fit). If you want extra safety stuff inc. ABS, get a ZR or find a SX with the rare safety pack.

They started selling them in 99' until 2005 (I think?). In 2003 there was a facelift - new front bumper new rear lights.

If you test drive one don't baby it, make sure you get into lift after 6000rpm, it wont enter lift until the engine is warm tho.