91 Celica SX Vibrating

macaroni

Hey guys,

I just bought a Celica SX and it vibrates like crazy. So far I've only noticed it when I'm idling. When I'm behind a car with my lights on, I can see the light beam shaking. It's getting quite annoying and in peak hour traffic, I might go INSANE!

Anyone know what might be causing it?

Hey guys,

I just bought a Celica SX and it vibrates like crazy. So far I've only noticed it when I'm idling. When I'm behind a car with my lights on, I can see the light beam shaking. It's getting quite annoying and in peak hour traffic, I might go INSANE!

Anyone know what might be causing it?

Idle-speed set too low?

Engine/gearbox-mount on the way out?

Well it's idling at 800-900rpm so I don't think that's the problem.

It vibrates even when I'm in neutral so I duno....

I'll take it to a mechanic soon and get the verdict. I'll ask him about the ISC and timing and all that.

Thanks guys

Hey macaroni, you're not alone.

The idle speed should be 750-800 rpm at operating temperature in the neutral position.

Check the timing with a timing light, it should be 10 degrees BTDC. If you don't have a timing light, you can guesstimate the timing by looking at the position of the distributor hold bolt towards the left hand side of the distributor cap. It looks like a regular bolt but there should be a ~2cm gap above and below the bolt that allows movement if loosened. I can take a picture for you if you like, it's a bit hard to explain. It should be right in the middle, ie: the bolt should not be all the way at the top or bottom. If it isn't, either the timing is out or the timing belt isn't on properly.

In my case, I also replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the injectors, but I still get my teeth rattled out especially if the headlights are on (raises rpm to ~900). I think the most likely culprits are: collapsed front/rear engine mounts or clogged/damaged idle speed control assembly (which is easy to clean or replace). Toyota front/rear mounts are ballpark $100 ea.

Hope that helps.

p.s. does anyone have a good technique to swap out the rear mount? I think that's where my issue is.

Amond has the same deal with the idle! had timing belt replaced just before we bought it . about 7months ago. we check thiese out . thanks. off to get the A/C fixed they thing the TX vavle is blocking up, all else seems ok.

Edited by Armond

Amond has the same deal with the idle! had timing belt replaced just before we bought it . about 7months ago. we check thiese out . thanks. off to get the A/C fixed they thing the TX vavle is blocking up, all else seems ok.

Well i think i fix ed the vib at idea. When i was inspecting the heater tap i disconected the battery. So i suppose it wiped the memory. which it now idles lower at 750-800 not 900, than adjusted timing back to 10deg btc, when the fan cuts in it goes to about 1100rpm, so the vib is at 950rpm. so no problem.Hope this helps.cheers