Cold Start

wilbur94

hello I’ve recently found that if I start my aurion on a cold start and start driving straight away I get a supercharged wine and a diesel sound if you know what I mean and also the gearbox is very harsh at shifting up and down but if I start it on a cold start let it warm up for 5 minutes or so I don’t get these problems I was wondering am i doing any damage to the engine or gearbox

thanks

wilbur1394

Edited by wilbur94

The extra engine noise (more noticeable because of your S/C) is common with these engine when they are cold. Same goes for the transmission and it's shifting. Once the engine is all warmed up though, these noises and harder shifts with occasional flaring goes away.

Toyota recommend that you start driving immediately without letting it sit to warm up. This stems from emissions mainly I would guess, but there is probably other factors at play here like having a load on the engine etc.

My recommendations would be to start you car then when the revs drop to around 1000 RPM or lower and the temperature needle moves onto the scale, then you can start driving it. This should take around 30 seconds to a minute from a complete cold start. Once you start driving just try not to get your revs high (I usually stay below 2500-3000 RPM) and within about 5 minutes, it should be warmed up sufficiently. It's easier to do if you have some suburb to drive thought as you leave your house.

Just for reference on some of the extra noise on the normal Aurion's:

Aurion takes forever to warm up