Sold my Kluger today

fish475

:o Yes, I did it, but my wife was against the selling initially.

I don't use it for off road much at all and I don't use the 2nd row seats or the third row.

So its a lot of beast to have around in dollar terms.

I can tell all you guys one thing, IT HOLDS IT VALUE BIG TIME.

But the key was AWD and the third row seats and still in show room condition.

It was a novated lease car, but I was the original registered person it was registered under.

I paid out the residual two weeks back to take owner ship.

I got more for it than what I paid to own it by a fair 0,000 margin and the trade in price was only a few hundred $$'s lower than the original Fleet purchase price.

I will still be visiting this forum and still have a keen interest for Klugers.

I will now be driving a leather interior VE Berlina with 40,000ks on it and I have enough change to buy my wife a new Yaris if we decide on a Yaris.

The maths add up, but I will miss the Klugers solid ride and presence about the whole vehicle.

Edited by fish475

I don't use it for off road much at all and I don't use the 2nd row seats or the third row.

It was a novated lease car, but I was the original registered person it was registered under.

I got more for it than what I paid to own it by a fair 0,000 margin and the trade in price was only a few hundred $$'s lower than the original Fleet purchase price.

I will now be driving a leather interior VE Berlina with 40,000ks on it and I have enough change to buy my wife a new Yaris if we decide on a Yaris.

The maths add up, but I will miss the Klugers solid ride and presence about the whole vehicle.

Funny if you sell the Berlina next week you will be able to buy the Fuel for the Yaris ....they depreciate very quickly...we sold ours to buy the Kluger...I would never do it again....good luck with it

Edited by PC XT

• 1 month later...

Yes its very strange but I think anything with Holden on it depreciate very quickly. Its a pitty really. Back in 2003 when I bought my first commodore 1996 VS Executive for $13,000. Spent $35,000 on it, and in 2007 got like $4,000 for it :-( (in bloody good condition to might I add). Bought a near new 2004 Series II VY Executive for $25,000 ( a little expensive then but hey it was nice) got $8,000 for it trading it on the Kluger :-( I have no doubt that when the time comes to sell the kluger it will have depreciated less then a holden. Any "Decent" toyota hold there value very well. Its a fact. VE's are a very nice car to drive on good roads and you will enjoy the crap out of the rear wheel drive power house.

Funny if you sell the Berlina next week you will be able to buy the Fuel for the Yaris ....they depreciate very quickly...we sold ours to buy the Kluger...I would never do it again....good luck with it

Hi there,

Picked up on the 'key was AWD' comment. I am just about to sign up a new 2010 Kluger KX-S , and at the moment leaning towards the 2WD - essentially because I don't really need AWD. I am coming from a Forester which of course has AWD as standard, so didn't really get the choice :). Is there an opinion that (relative to the price difference) that the AWD holds its value better?

I too will be novating and appear to be getting a nice fleet discount.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Hi there,

Picked up on the 'key was AWD' comment. I am just about to sign up a new 2010 Kluger KX-S , and at the moment leaning towards the 2WD - essentially because I don't really need AWD. I am coming from a Forester which of course has AWD as standard, so didn't really get the choice :). Is there an opinion that (relative to the price difference) that the AWD holds its value better?

I too will be novating and appear to be getting a nice fleet discount.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Well to put it bluntly. FWD suck. AWD for the win. Sure you pay a little more but seriously a FWD SUV in the wet. Just asking for a crash.

I am just about to sign up a new 2010 Kluger KX-S , and at the moment leaning towards the 2WD - essentially because I don't really need AWD.

The Kluger is a heavy car, and in particular a top-heavy car. AWD is more sure-footed and safer, particularly in the wet. Will you be doing any towing? How do you know you won't ever be trying to drive uphill on a slippery road? There was a link posted here recently to a YouTube video showing a FWD Kluger unable to make it up a not-too-steep dirt road, when other FWD vehicles were able to make it easily because they had lower centre of gravity.

So don't just think of buying AWD for its resale value, buy it also because you really WILL appreciate it.

Ken.

I am just about to sign up a new 2010 Kluger KX-S , and at the moment leaning towards the 2WD - essentially because I don't really need AWD.

The Kluger is a heavy car, and in particular a top-heavy car. AWD is more sure-footed and safer, particularly in the wet. Will you be doing any towing? How do you know you won't ever be trying to drive uphill on a slippery road? There was a link posted here recently to a YouTube video showing a FWD Kluger unable to make it up a not-too-steep dirt road, when other FWD vehicles were able to make it easily because they had lower centre of gravity.

So don't just think of buying AWD for its resale value, buy it also because you really WILL appreciate it.

Ken.

Not to disagree with you Ken, but you need to be fair about the information you provide.

As per the Youtube video that was posted, and as many of us and others have posted about this, the fact the Kluger couldn't get up that hill is more likely to be because the driver wasn't driving correctly for the situation and not the fact that the Kluger/Highlander couldn't do it.

I'm sure there are a number of people here with the 2WD model who have tackled a similar hill and had little problem.

Also, and this is just MY opinion, unless you are buying the Kluger with the intent on taking it off-road consistantly, I don't believe that 4WD in the Kluger gives you a "considerable difference" in safety (on normal roads and in general driving conditions, which is probably 98% of the driving experience), over the 2WD variant. I'd personally say that the tyres you choose and your driving skills has more to do (particularly on wet/slippery roads), than 4WD would give you....unless you are talking about driving the Kluger like a sportier car (which of course it wasn't built for)...being a heavier car, as you have mentioned. Driving the Kluger hard (in the wet, and sometimes the dry), with the 2WD variant will likely produce steering torque and can be dangerous....however I don't consider this to be how most people would (or should) drive the Kluger.

Again, this is just my view and others may not agree, but I don't think it's fair to say outright that 4WD is safer than 2WD and that the 2WD Kluger struggles to make it up hills.

I am very happy for you to correct me if I am misinformed.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave, always happy to have thoughtful discussion! Actually, I didn't write "considerable difference" in safety so I'm not sure if you were (wrongly) quoting me there or someone else.

The point I was making about the YouTube video was that the Kluger was struggling to get up the hill. I gave the driver the benefit of the doubt and said it was because of the lower centre of gravity of the other cars, however I acknowledge that it was poorly driven (it seemed to me that the initial speed was too slow). Whether the driver was deliberately driving it poorly to make the Kluger look bad, I don't know. Let's assume the driver was ignorant. The point is, with AWD it would be more likely to make it even with poor/ignorant driving.

I fully agree that tyres and driving skills are more important than 2WD/AWD. I've not had a problem in any 2WD vehicle for many years (decades) because I drive to the conditions. But I do remember in my (much) younger days experiencing wheel spin in FWD cars. Three occasions come to mind: (1) pulling a boat up a slippery boat ramp (in an Austin Kimberley) where the front of the car quickly moved sideways and came close to the edge of the ramp; (2) trying to drive up a short hill in a paddock on the grass (in a FWD Subaru wagon, we ended up having to reverse up the hill to make it!); and (3) once when turning left into a dual-lane road from a side street when it had just started raining, I unexpectedly ended up in the centre lane instead of the nearest lane and was thankful that no cars were coming in either direction. Maybe I've succumbed to marketing hype, but I think that AWD would have been safer in those situations.

Surely the fact that authorities permit 4WD vehicles without chains on some snow roads while 2WD vehicles must have chains is an acknowledgement that there is a difference in safety, even in limited circumstances? Or is this merely an admission that there are too many ignorant or reckless drivers out there?

Ken.

Well you can always for FWD and reverse it up the hill lol!

I went AWD and dont regret it, it chews a little more fuel(since new avg 14L premium 98 most of the time), but whats the price of safety? I can take off in the wel full trottle if i need to and not a sign of slippage, in fact, only time it does slip is when your pulling out of a side street in a wet road full lock...i cant imagine what a fwd would do with 1 particular intersection i know of, as its an 80km zone and you cant dordle around there as there is a blind crest and you must get going as i have been on the other side with people pull out SLOW and you nearly run up their A**

btw - towbar saves the day again, another car has ran into the towbar at the shopping centre whilst i was in the car, no damage to my car, his bumper left 2nd best....thats the 4th time i know of that it has saved me! Get a tow bar!

btw - towbar saves the day again, another car has ran into the towbar at the shopping centre whilst i was in the car, no damage to my car, his bumper left 2nd best....thats the 4th time i know of that it has saved me! Get a tow bar!

Any damage to the tow bar assembly or mounts?

nope, even the locking bar slides without a problem.

I dont think i would buy a car now without a towbar, just to save my car! It wasnt a hard shunt but would have been enough to damage the bumper bar if it wasnt there. Imagine if i wasnt in the car and i came back and they had gone!!

When I sold the Beast I found the 2 Wds were around in plentiful numbers and no so much the AWD due to inital cost justifications. My dealer sold my Kluger within 8 working days.

I found the safety in the wet was just totally amazing, the AWD just would not slide in roundabouts or hard accelaration from rest in the wet.

Together with no steering torque feedback.The 2wd Kluger back in late 2007 I test drive was very strong in steering torque. It almost did an "Aunty Jack" accelerating in a 90deg turn from rest.

I really only miss the beast for launching my boat of firm earth sides at my local Hume Weir. Now I must launch at the concrete ramps and park the rig in a suitable place for 2Wds. Before I would just leave the kluger/traileron the sand or earth right near the waters edge. Plus I have to now make conversation at the concrete ramp with others.

The Kluger in fuel econo is right up there with the Ve Berlina and I would say better when towing than the Ve.

Must say, its nice again to a have a choice of digital speedo, a bluetooth that works properly, a hand brake that not only holds the car, but boat as well and a better stereo dash setup and sound. Along with a car that you can chuck around more easily.

But she ain't no Kuger and never will be. Also when at the traffic lights and a Kluger is beside me, they seem so big and high compared to the Ve - Go Kart. Thats when I miss it as well.

I thinking of giving the Berlina to my wife and giving her car to my second oldest daughter who is approching 18 and buying a 2003 -2005 diesel twin cab or super cab just for boat launchings.

I still monitor the Kluger forum and love the Kluger beasts you guys/gals drive.

When I sold the Beast I found the 2 Wds were around in plentiful numbers and no so much the AWD due to inital cost justifications. My dealer sold my Kluger within 8 working days.

I found the safety in the wet was just totally amazing, the AWD just would not slide in roundabouts or hard accelaration from rest in the wet.

Together with no steering torque feedback.The 2wd Kluger back in late 2007 I test drive was very strong in steering torque. It almost did an "Aunty Jack" accelerating in a 90deg turn from rest.

I really only miss the beast for launching my boat of firm earth sides at my local Hume Weir. Now I must launch at the concrete ramps and park the rig in a suitable place for 2Wds. Before I would just leave the kluger/traileron the sand or earth right near the waters edge. Plus I have to now make conversation at the concrete ramp with others.

The Kluger in fuel econo is right up there with the Ve Berlina and I would say better when towing than the Ve.

Must say, its nice again to a have a choice of digital speedo, a bluetooth that works properly, a hand brake that not only holds the car, but boat as well and a better stereo dash setup and sound. Along with a car that you can chuck around more easily.

But she ain't no Kuger and never will be. Also when at the traffic lights and a Kluger is beside me, they seem so big and high compared to the Ve - Go Kart. Thats when I miss it as well.

I thinking of giving the Berlina to my wife and giving her car to my second oldest daughter who is approching 18 and buying a 2003 -2005 diesel twin cab or super cab just for boat launchings.

I still monitor the Kluger forum and love the Kluger beasts you guys/gals drive.

Thanks for all the feedback, have decided to go AWD. Pick up the new car in about a month, and very much looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...