keurk-uh keruhk - rattling sound from engine when driving

EK1

I hear this rattling sound from my engine going keurk-uh keruhk...( usually happens when im going up hill) as i reach 2-3000rpm . was wondering what it could be. i don't drive fast i only stick between 2-3000rpm and press the throttle about 2/5 of the way.

thanks

Tried changing down a gear when going up said hill?

As well, tried using premium unleaded?

Nearly sounds like pinging to me.

What exactly is pinging is that just the pistons going up and down. It's an automatic but if i take the turn fast say like 40-45km/h before going up hill it doesnt seem to make that sound that much. premium unleaded didnt seem to make a difference in the past. it says unleaded on the petrol lid.

What exactly is pinging is that just the pistons going up and down. It's an automatic but if i take the turn fast say like 40-45km/h before going up hill it doesnt seem to make that sound that much. premium unleaded didnt seem to make a difference in the past. it says unleaded on the petrol lid.

I'm not sure if I got the right terminology on that one, but pinging has to do with loading an engine up at lower RPM's. Yes it says unleaded on the petrol tank lid, but using premium can help reduce pinging/knocking on cars that experience it due to it's higher octane.

Have you tried to put your foot down more then to force it to drop down a gear? By trying to keep the RPM's lower, you can be making it more difficult for the car to climb the hill depending on the grade. Don't be afraid to get those RPM's higher to help you climb it. See if that makes a difference.

My bet would be a loose exhaust or mounting bracket. I had it on my car and on the missus'. From my research, very common on Toyotas for some reason.

I'll bet that it happens not only going uphill, but virtually all the time at the specified rpm. Going uphill loads the engine more, increasing the resonance in the exhaust and therefore amplifying the rattle to an audible level.

Does it sound a bit like a 20c piece jumping around?

My bet would be a loose exhaust or mounting bracket. I had it on my car and on the missus'. From my research, very common on Toyotas for some reason.

I'll bet that it happens not only going uphill, but virtually all the time at the specified rpm. Going uphill loads the engine more, increasing the resonance in the exhaust and therefore amplifying the rattle to an audible level.

i also have a feeling that its exhaust related. when I first bought my car last year it would make a terrible rattle between 2100-2300. it turned out that one of the heat shields covering the exhaust went bad. ended up taking the heat shield off and the problem went away

Edited by redracer

yes it does sound like a 20c piece jumping around ( but larger piece of metal or something) . though it only really happens when going uphill , even at higher rpms ( but less pinging sound) . There is also sometimes the issue of this keh-urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk sound and vibration when i first start driving from a stand still at the traffic lights. would this be related ? is this a serious problem or just minor?