How smart are our ECU?

Lupetto

YES YES YES our ECU in our 2AZ-FE are quite inteligent... but the question at hand is... IF your a heavy driver (sprint/ rev hard/ quick driver) and you switch to Slow driving LOW RPM gear changing (Fuel Saving Driving) does our ECU adjust itself (without reseting) to Accomidate better Fuel Effiancy?

• 2 weeks later...

Good question, I would love to know this as well. During my 'honeymooning' period when I got my car, I would thrash her around a bit. But now I'm taking it easy and I've dropped my fuel consumption from 15L/100 to 11.4L/100. As was wondering the same thing as OP stated.

These engines have VVT-i. The entire purpose of VVT-i is to constantly be changing so that you achieve performance and economy. The service manual for the 2AZ-FE states:

The VVT-i system is designed to control the intake camshaft within a range of 40 degrees (of Crankshaft Angle) to provide valve timing that is optimally suited to the engine condition. This improves torque in all the speed ranges as well as increasing fuel economy, and reducing exhaust emissions.

And for you unique, for the 2GR-FE on the Aurion:

The dual VVT-i system is designed to control the intake and exhaust camshafts within a range of 40 degrees and 35 degrees respectively (of Crankshaft Angle) to provide valve timing that is optimally suited to the engine condition. This improves torque in all the speed ranges as well as increasing fuel economy, and reducing exhaust emissions.

In addition to that, only for the Aurion (so just for you unique), the U660E 6-speed automatic transmission has "AI (Artificial Intelligence)-Shift Control". This is primarily for a smooth drive, but as a result, will mean that if you drive it like a granny, it will start shifting like that. It's for smooth operation and not fuel efficiency purposes:

AI (Artificial Intelligence)-Shift Control

AI-SHIFT control enables the ECT ECU to estimate the road conditions and the driver’s intention in order to automatically control the shift pattern in the optimal manner. As a result, a comfortable ride has been achieved.

Driver’s Intention Support Control

Estimates the driver’s intention based on the accelerator operation and vehicle condition to switch to a shift pattern that is well-suited to each driver, without the need to operate the shift pattern select switch used in the conventional models.

These engines have VVT-i. The entire purpose of VVT-i is to constantly be changing so that you achieve performance and economy. The service manual for the 2AZ-FE states:

The VVT-i system is designed to control the intake camshaft within a range of 40 degrees (of Crankshaft Angle) to provide valve timing that is optimally suited to the engine condition. This improves torque in all the speed ranges as well as increasing fuel economy, and reducing exhaust emissions.

And for you unique, for the 2GR-FE on the Aurion:

The dual VVT-i system is designed to control the intake and exhaust camshafts within a range of 40 degrees and 35 degrees respectively (of Crankshaft Angle) to provide valve timing that is optimally suited to the engine condition. This improves torque in all the speed ranges as well as increasing fuel economy, and reducing exhaust emissions.

In addition to that, only for the Aurion (so just for you unique), the U660E 6-speed automatic transmission has "AI (Artificial Intelligence)-Shift Control". This is primarily for a smooth drive, but as a result, will mean that if you drive it like a granny, it will start shifting like that. It's for smooth operation and not fuel efficiency purposes:

AI (Artificial Intelligence)-Shift Control

AI-SHIFT control enables the ECT ECU to estimate the road conditions and the driver’s intention in order to automatically control the shift pattern in the optimal manner. As a result, a comfortable ride has been achieved.

Driver’s Intention Support Control

Estimates the driver’s intention based on the accelerator operation and vehicle condition to switch to a shift pattern that is well-suited to each driver, without the need to operate the shift pattern select switch used in the conventional models.

Daz,

Does the ECU figure out your driving pattern instantly or over a period of kms or time?

Does the ECU figure out your driving pattern instantly or over a period of kms or time?

I haven't actually tested that, but it seems to pick up on it from as simple as a few minutes of city driving or after 10 or so minutes of highway driving. Those are just guesstimates based on feel.

I haven't actually tested that, but it seems to pick up on it from as simple as a few minutes of city driving or after 10 or so minutes of highway driving. Those are just guesstimates based on feel.

+1. I'm not sure if its a physiological thing or not but when I got the car it looks like who ever ever drove it last had a heavy foot and the car would gun it but my average fuel consumption was high. I've been taking it very easy for 2 weeks and it seems like my car likes to hesitate to gun it when I want to because of my easy driving.

But I don't want my engine or ECU to be lazy so I like to give it a bit of a beating every now and then at least.